Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Maintaining calorie deficit without damaging metabolism

Hi everyone,

I am looking to fill some gaps in my weight loss knowledge. After a long time on a very low carb diet (Tim Ferris's slow carb diet to be specific), I have switched to just calorie counting and have found some success, plus it has seriously improved my quality of life and relationship with food in a number of ways. My strategy has been, essentially, calculating my TDEE, subtracting 500 calories and setting that as my caloric goal, aiming for 1 pound/week weight loss. This has basically worked, however I am getting to the point where that caloric goal is under my basal metabolic rate and from what I have learned, eating under your BMR can "damage" your metabolism and make it harder to continue to lose weight and require lower calories to just maintain. I am calculating my TDEE on https://tdeecalculator.net. I'm a 33 year old 5'10" 251 lb male, which it calculates as 2508 maintenance calories with a sedentary lifestyle and a BMR of 2090, which I know is not an insane difference, but I know that will increase as I continue to lose. That being said I do exercise, but don't particularly trust the accuracy of any exercise calorie calculators particularly as I mostly do yoga and martial arts plus I have also heard that you should not really eat back calories lost from exercise which is why I calculate my TDEE as a sedentary lifestyle. So... are there any recommendations on how to move forward? Is eating back, at least some calories ok? Will not eating back calories damage my metabolism? Am I just going to have to accept a slower rate of fat loss as I lose more?

TLDR:

TDEE is 2508 for maintenance (sedentary lifestyle) - 500 calorie deficit = 2008 daily caloric goal

BSM is 2090 which is 82 calories more than current caloric goal but will increase as I lose.

Will consistently eating under BSM damage my metabolism? Can I counteract this with exercise? Is it ok to eat back exercise calories? If so, what are the limits?

submitted by /u/natlud2000
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3wbqAe4

No comments:

Post a Comment