Friday, April 22, 2022

How do you cope with people around you still stuck in eating habits you no longer can or want to share in?

I come from an absurd foodie family. They are OBSESSED with food, it is all they talk about. The family Whatsapp is 90% food pictures and long, involved descriptions of dishes and flavors and wines and desserts. Most of them drink too much. They all eat unhealthily. They are expecting me somehow to continue to be involved in this and I gamely will share what I cooked myself for a healthy meal on occasion but just feel put off by the behavior in general and also a bit miffed that I can no longer feel "normal" around them. I also have health issues that require me to eat a certain way on top of trying to lose some weight, so it's a double whammy of "I can't do that anymore". I don't know how to relate to them. We have no other common interests. Whenever the family spend time together it's ALL about food. We never DO anything. It's all food and drinking. Every single get-together. And most of the conversation around the table is also about food. The meal that's being eaten right then and there, meals from the past we've had togethere, where everyone's been out to eat at a restaurant, where people buy their speciality groceries, what they're cooking, what they had for the office holiday party like it is... to me, insane, but it literally is all about food. Not being able to join in with at least the eating of the food is making me feel like I don't belong in my family anymore, and I just need some tips. How do you get them to talk about something else? How do I get them to understand that I don't share their obsessive interest in food anymore but am prioritizing my health? What can you try to do socially with overweight, exercise-averse "foodies" that doesn't turn into a food orgie or hours-long talk about food? And how do you stick to your guns and not feel left out in social situations?

Tl;dr - My family is obsessed with food. I can no longer participate due to health issues and weight loss. Causing a bit of a disconnect, not sure what to do.

submitted by /u/Crafty_Inevitable_22
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/7ywzLMG

No comments:

Post a Comment