Saturday, April 30, 2022

I was complimented by a neighbor on my weight loss while out on my walk this morning

SW: 265 CW: 240 GW: 185

A little backstory first: My wife of 13 years left me a month ago for someone I considered one of my best friends. This was absolutely devastating as I thought we had a happy marriage, and she refused to give us a chance to work on it. This sent me spiraling for the first week or so, and led to me losing about 12 pounds from just not being able to eat.

As I started processing my feelings and everything happening around me, I decided I would make the best of this shitty situation. With my appetite being very low to nonexistent for the first couple weeks, I used that to transition to healthier eating. I didn't care what food was tasting like at that point, so why not? As that was easy to do, I incorporated a daily walk into my routine. I found a route in my neighborhood that would came out to 1.5 miles, and quickly started doing that route twice each day to hit 3 miles.

So now with all of that, I have gone from 265 pounds to 240 (was 295 at my heaviest about 4 years ago). I know the progress is there in the scale. I was wearing 3X shirts, but I've actually picked up some 2X shirts that fit really well. So I know it's there, but it's difficult to see in the mirror each day. I don't let it discourage me or anything, but I spend a good amount of time alone now so it's not like I have a ton of social interaction for me to get a different perspective (although I am actively working on being more social with my friends).

This morning I went out for my usual daily walk, and in my neighborhood everyone does a polite wave or whatever when walking/running/driving by each other. I don't really know many people though outside of those right around me. I'm early on in my walk, and this SUV starts slowing down and rolls down their windows. I take out my earbuds and she tells me what a great job she thinks I'm doing. She said she's seen me out every day, and can see how much weight I'm losing. I was absolutely stunned especially since I was wearing my 3X Deftones hoodie that doesn't do me any favors, but keeps me warm on brisk mornings.

All I could really do was stand there and just keep telling her thank you for all her kind words. I had to hold in a small breakdown where I spill everything I'm going through and just how much her stopping and saying these things to me really means. My journey is far from over as I would ideally like to hit 185 pounds, but I can't emphasize how much that brief 90 second interaction motivated me to keep it up. Not just for my kids. Not just to stick it to my soon to be ex-wife and my former friend. But for me. I've been fat my whole life, and I am already down to my weight I was at in middle school. I know it won't always be easy, but knowing that others are watching will help me continue to hold myself accountable.

TL;DR Life as I knew it was shattered. I'm making a better one. Someone I don't really know noticed and it made me happy.

submitted by /u/AFarewellToArms
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/YmSoigp

No comments:

Post a Comment