Saturday, April 23, 2022

what I wish I did while losing 130 pounds

I started in this sub years ago when I was 26, 300 lbs, and had just been diagnosed with being pre-diabetic. Food had been my comfort my entire life through an abusive childhood from my mother and bullying at school. I had never been taught moderation and loved that food actually made me feel happy. I started off by restricting myself to a 1200cal diet and didn't eat anything I didn't consider "good".

The weight fell off and in months I made my first ever post here about finally being under 250. I had never felt better in my life and even got a new job that required me to be physically active. But I restricted even more and some (most) days ate only 900 calories worth of food. I survived off of nothing but salads and low carb shakes. Weight came flying off so I added intense cardio (no strength training whatsoever).

I had done it, I got "skinny" but I was still miserable and was obsessed with the number on the scale and eating only "good" food. There was one day at work where I treated myself to a few cookies and one of the nastier coworkers (a horrid girl that actually got fired for taunting other employees) made a comment along the lines of "Look at you eat! You're going to be a big girl again soon" her comment made me panic and I actually spent my entire lunch that day walking laps around the area, crying because all I could do was panic at being fat again. Doesn't help that I got into a toxic relationship with the first man that gave me attention and used my fear to his advantage.

Yep, I had managed to develop an ED and was in a horrible mental state. It wasn't until I broke up with the garbage ex, that I decided to get help for my mental heath and even saw a dietician. It was the best thing I did. I got my eating habits to a much safer and attainable place and never felt better. Being kind to myself actually worked. Yeah, I gained a little bit of weight back (about ten pounds) but it was okay with me and I started some better habits.

My life today is far different than I thought it would be. I fell in love with exercise as a way to become stronger both mentally and physically. Now I run 5k and 10k races for fun and even plan on training for a half marathon once I hit my strength goals! I love traveling and trying new foods, all in moderation. I am with an person that loves to eat fancy Italian food with my amazing partner as we sample different oddities we found on an adventure, and I also like to lift weights at the gym or go for a ten mile run around my city!

Food isn't the problem. It's moderation and knowing your limits. If you want to treat yourself, allow yourself to have some pizza with your friends or eat the head off the chocolate bunny in your Easter basket.

My advice:

  • Be kind to yourself and be your biggest cheerleader

  • Don't hesitate to tell people to f-off if they are being rude/ judgemental. Toxic people will be horrid no matter what size you are so give them the attention they deserve: none at all

  • accept that bodies change and its up to you to take care of yourself. Maybe you'll have a child, get injured, or struggle with your mental health, remember that you have the resilience to live your life as you please and want to be healthy, not miserable.

  • food isn't the devil and you can eat what you want in moderation. That whopper you ate after a long shift at work doesn't mean you failed. Just be conscious of what you do and balance your habits out.

  • exercise can be your friend for more than just weight loss. It gives you an amazing type of energy boost and gaining muscle is one of the best things you can do for yourself

  • accept that you will fail occasionally and its okay. So you ate like garbage for months and saw the number on the scale change? Time for you to get yourself back on track and check on yourself

  • you don't have to do it alone. Talk to your doctor or a professional about your concerns. The right physician can help you achieve your goals.

Thanks for coming to my text wall. I'm going to make myself some whole grain pasta with turkey meatballs (my favorite), take my dog for a long walk to prepare myself for my long run, and maybe enjoy that half a halotop ice cream in my fridge later on. I am living my best life right now.

If you want to lose 5 pounds or 500 just know that you got this through all the ups and downs. And gosh darn it, I'm rooting for you!

submitted by /u/Prannke
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/Ml8hqjo

No comments:

Post a Comment