Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Preventing transfer addiction?

If you’re not aware of the term already, my understanding is that a transfer addiction is when someone who struggles with obesity and/or compulsive eating transitions from having a food/eating/sugar addiction to substance abuse, alcoholism, or other addictions in order to fill the void basically (not a medical professional, just what I’ve seen in articles).

I’m pretty worried about this for myself because although I’ve set a hard boundary for myself and don’t drink or do drugs because I know I am not capable of moderation, I’m still incredibly addiction prone. I do everything in excess from consuming social media and being on my phone to spending habits. Part of the reason why I struggle with weight loss is because I always relapse into excess food consumption (diagnosed binge eater in treatment).

I know it comes down to self discipline, but I don’t know how to replace the void of food. It’s all I know, it’s been literally my whole life. I’m constantly consumed by thoughts surrounding food and I want to be free of it, but I’m afraid if I break that dependence, I’ll end up picking up something else just as if not more dangerous to replace that lost dopamine fix.

Has anyone experienced this and gotten through it? If so, how?

submitted by /u/typicaldaydreamer
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/JeB9KAR

No comments:

Post a Comment