Wednesday, August 3, 2022

F4'9" - 20 kg (44 lbs) lost. Halfway into my journey I want to give a heads up to everyone just starting out

Today is a big day in my weight loss: I made half the way back to normal weight. I am still obese - but stage 1 instead of far into stage 3.

But I am not afraid of the rest of my journey, in the opposite: I look forward to it. It is quite endurable and I haven't eaten over maintenance once in the last almost 6 months. I can eat the food composition I have now for the rest of my life.

For all that just start out and are scared, a few things:

  • be nice to yourself. Do this for YOU, because you are worth it! If someone doesn't go as planned, if you feel like you aren't doing well look for solutions instead of bashing yourself. Pick yourself back up, reflect on your successes and move on. You deserve to be human and you deserve people helping you out - be it here, from a certified nutritionist or from a therapist. You are not alone and you are worth to be helped instead of hated by yourself.

  • start with small steps! Don't change up everything at once and put a rigid workout routine on top of that. The larger the amount you want to lose the more you have to find a way you can live with, and small, digestible changes will help you with that. You are in for a marathon, don't start it sprinting. In my case it seems it was very important to at least stop the weight gain, so I maintained my high weight for 2 years. It was the best I could do at that moment, but it was immense and prevented a LOT more damage I could have done in those 2 years. If you think you can't lose weight right now start there. You can establish good practices from there already and - I think this was important for myself - going from maintenance into a calorie deficit is much easier than going from overeating. Much less of a shock!

  • slowly find stuff that works for you. Find good substitutes for your favourites, have fun trying out stuff you might like, develop YOUR eating pattern. Just because one group says Intermittent fasting is the holy grail or another say that 3 meals + 2 snacks is mandatory doesn't mean you have to listen to them. Keto has worked for some, others can't without their carbs etc. They can be an inspiration for something to try, but if it isn't for you don't feel bad about moving on to something else. The "healthiest" habits won't be of much use for you if they make you give up. Find stuff you can stick to for a long time, if not the rest of your life.

  • be patient and stick to your guns, even if the scale doesn't budge. I have had standstills and even gains for up to 4 weeks event though I was consistent and others report even longer times. The scale not moving over a week or 2 isn't a reason for panic - water in your body can fluctuate more than you lose in fat. If you are lucky your consistency will even be rewarded with a big woosh once that water comes off again. This feels very rewarding :)

  • and last: to not just depend of the scale and because looking in the mirror can be deceiving: take before pictures and measurements. These might help you out when you soak water or are desperate because you can't see your progress in the mirror (you see yourself every day, but boy oh boy was I surprised when I compared my pics!)

I wish you all much success, and never forget:

YOU-ARE-WORTH-IT!

submitted by /u/TheOneMary
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/4TQ6fa2

No comments:

Post a Comment