Thursday, November 17, 2022

How to shut down conversations about weight/diet

For many reasons (which I started to write out but then thought I'd bore everyone) I don't like talking to friends, acquaintances, colleagues etc about weight, diets, food. It's incredibly triggering for me - the judgment, the (incorrect) assumptions about me/my lifestyle, the unsolicited and often unhelpful advice.

I see my weight loss journey as an entirely personal journey (with support from my nearest and dearest). It's no one else's business.

I am looking for advice on how to shut down two types of conversations. I'm an inherent people pleaser and I always fail, breach my own boundaries and then get upset with myself later.

  1. I'm at that stage where my weight loss is getting noticeable. Cue the comments asking "Have you lost weight?" Etc.

I know these types of comments are meant to be well-meaning and complimentary most of the time. I know some people would love to have people notice their loss. For me, I would rather not have these conversations. How do I shut them down without being rude?

  1. The interfering comments/questions/"advice"

    I still have weight to lose. I went to get acupuncture for a leg injury this week. The lady kept asking me about my diet. And whilst I was laying face down on the bed having the needles go in, all vulnerable and half naked, she was like "so what do you eat for breakfast then? Hmm. How about lunch?" Like, I'm sorry but I came here for acupuncture not diet advice, stay in your lane. I get that it can be all "holistic" and all that, but I am not interested in unsolicited diet advice. I got all flustered and didn't really know how to shut it down politely.

Any advice please?

submitted by /u/OkGlass2188
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/CqBI5Q6

No comments:

Post a Comment