Monday, February 6, 2023

I hate that my family is so obsessed with weight

Just so we're clear I love my family and I'm not making this post because I dislike them or anything, but the way they're so obsessed with their own weights and other people's weights drives me insane. I've been overweight my whole life and no one has ever mentioned it, but I'm almost positive they've talked about my weight gain in the past year. It's not very noticeable on my body since I wear baggy clothes most of the time but you can definitely see it on my face. My aunt and grandma are very gossipy and discuss even the slightest change in someone's weight and this has led me to covering myself up without even thinking about it around them.

They're also overweight so I really don't think it's their place to be talking about how much weight people have gained. Every year they make resolutions to go on a diet and it never happens, and at this point I think they just get satisfaction from just announcing they're going to lose weight before summer. The diets they swear they're going to go on are also always so unsustainable and I just want to scream at them to count calories since they'll just gain the weight back if they go back to eating like they did before. I'm trying to lose 50 lbs this year but I really don't want them to notice even though it's inevitable. My grandma has a habit of talking about how guys are going to love me any time I do something to improve my appearance (even if it's just buying a new eyeliner pen or styling my hair a different way), and I know it'll be insufferable when my weight loss becomes more noticeable. Like, if you're saying this now how bad did I look before ?? To her everything is about the male attention I get even though nothing I do is for men and wouldn't be even if I liked them (I'm not out to my family yet but that's a whole other issue lmfao).

I know diet culture has always had a strong grip on them but the way they idolize thinness makes me very uncomfortable. Weight loss is a huge achievement and I can't wait until I'm at a weight where I feel more like my true self but I also don't want it to be the main topic of discussion whenever I see them. It happened with my dad when he lost a huge amount of weight (it wasn't in a healthy way) and it made him so uncomfortable as well. My aunt and grandma were constantly commenting on how his clothes were hanging off him even though his weight loss was due to literal depression like what ?? I swear if I had an eating disorder they would be complimenting me on how much better I look.

submitted by /u/nobarasrighttoe
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/zvxyG8C

No comments:

Post a Comment