Tuesday, March 7, 2023

245lb (June 2022) -> 188lb (today)

43yo. My weight gradually increased from 2015 to last year. As an adult until age 35 I was in a 180<->195 range; and than at 35 it it gradually increased until I got to 245.

Weight loss by month:

July Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Today
-13lb -6lb -11 -9 -8 +4 -5 -6 -3
233 227 216 207 198 202 197 191 188

Although first half of Feb I was hovering around 196, so in effect I basically stalled for 2.5 months Thanksgiving onward.

So what worked for me:

  1. Being single w no kids = lots of time to devout. Until July this was probably a big negative because when I was in a relationship, I ate less junk food at night and generally ate healthier dinners.
  2. July: started Hiking alot. 4 days/week of 1000-2000ft hikes. I always enjoyed hiking, but I really upped the frequency from an occasional thing to almost daily. It also helps to live near mountains.
  3. August: started seeing a nutritionist every other week. Actually listened and tried to pay attention. Logging food intake -- but not really paying attention to calories totals or eating perfectly. Just eating a lot better than before. Also my health insurance covered the visits, so there was no reason for me to not have done this years earlier.
  4. August: started going to the gym, but really didn't work out that intensely.
  5. September: Saw a doctor. He prescribed a couple medications. Started seeing a second nutritionist that was associated with the doctor's hospital. Eventually i dropped the first one. Again, health insurance covers doctors visit, so should've done this alot earlier.
  6. October: Started taking classes that were at the gym -- made me workout a lot harder than i would on my own. boxing, circuits, cardio/strength combo classes, etc.
  7. October: Started running 1-2x/week, though conservatively as I didn't want to get injured.

Why did I stall:

  1. Once I got below 200 just before Thanksgiving, I told myself I can mentally take a break, and in Dec I ate way worse than anytime in the prior 6 months. 80% reversion of my diet.
  2. I reduced the exercise. I ended up moving in Nov, and the gym classes as well as hiking got dropped.
  3. Jan: Started eating healthier and hiking, but the weight didn't seem to come off

How'd I resume in February:

  1. Nutritionist suggested I try to stick to 1500-1700 calories most days. And add in more greens than I was eating.
  2. Replacing breakfast with smoothies -- milk, water, spinach, fruit (berries, mango, etc) and then if still hungry eating yogurt or eggs after or later in morning.
  3. So I haven't been religious about the calorie counts, but the goal of being in that range has led me to eat salad (spring mix + salsa) during lunch + dinner. So my typical lunch or dinner now is salad + some meat.
  4. I've eaten out 3 times in the past month -- much less than normal.
  5. Haven't had bread in past month either (other than binging on donuts one meal and having pizza a few times).
  6. Upped the exercise. I'm now training for a half marathon race, so I've been consistently running 4x week. Started doing yoga at home for additional core/flexibility. Going to the gym (but not classes unfortunately). Hiking 3-4x/week. Again, having time makes this all possible. But it's obvious to me the key change is the diet improvements, and this is supplemental.
submitted by /u/stothel
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/KsgqX0t

No comments:

Post a Comment