Monday, August 12, 2024

You're are what you eat with your eyes and ears, too

I spent a little time today reflecting on my weight loss journey over the years, and I've realized something that I want to share with you, so maybe it'll help someone else, too. We've all heard the saying, "you are what you eat," and it's usually in reference to what we put in our bodies; now we are learning that what we also "eat" what we consume with our eyes and ears, as well.

So I wanna talk about our social influences that we have while we go on our journeys. I don't necessarily mean your "support" system. TL;DR at the bottom lol

Let me give the personal example that brings this up. 6 years ago, my main social influence was my mom and step-dad. Pizza dinner usually at least 2 times a week, McDonalds once or twice a week, and any homecooked meal have maybe one can of veggies as a side (if any was prepared at all), and the meal usually some kind of variation of Hamburger Helper. They laugh at people who exercise or workout, or who eat healthy foods, or take their health decisions seriously.

Currently, my husband and I are living with my MIL. She eats a balance of take out and home cooked meals, but rarely fast food. I've never seen her eat a meal without at least one veggie choice. She has a wide variety of healthy snacks, from fruits and veggies to potato chips. By and far, she's not a health nut, but she's health conscious and I'd say 90% of her choices are overall "healthful."

The decisions I make, now, and the thought process behind them are so vastly different. When people around you don't make fun of the people making the same choices you're trying to make for yourself... when the people around you have a healthier relationship with food and exercise... you make better choices. You are influenced by the people around you.

And that goes for media influences, too. I'm not saying don't enjoy your favorite shows, but be mindful of what they're portraying. And I know I'm not the first person ever to realize this or think about it, but sometimes it's good to be reminded.

TL;DR: be mindful of the influences that you surround yourself with, or it could distract from your ultimate goal.

submitted by /u/Th3FakeFatSunny
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/hRPzQ1p

No comments:

Post a Comment