Friday, August 23, 2024

5 months - over 30 lbs. lost

Context - 37/M 6’2” Starting weight 217lbs Current weight 186 lbs Goal weight: 180lbs

Overall goal is body recomposition, not necessarily weight loss only (really trading bad weight for good weight).

As a young(ish) father with young kids, I’ve been wanting to slim down but that’s been difficult due to a mindset, not necessarily a physical limitation, which I’m grateful for.

I was diagnosed in 2021 with PTSD, major depression and was experiencing panic attacks (and anxiety attacks).

The PTSD was due to an accident I had that was really no one’s fault, but it was partially because of the way I was trying to get in shape at the time. It’s a can of worms, so that’s all I’m going say about it.

With the help of medication, lots of therapy, and time, I’ve recovered.

To make a very long and nuanced story short, I started taking medication that while extremely helpful for the body, mentally I drug my feet on physical activity and it showed.

I was afraid to exercise for fear of a repeat accident, panic attack, etc. So I just gained more and more weight from the lack of activity. It wasn’t until my GP said that my cholesterol was too high that I finally pushed myself past my fear.

All I could think of was my wife and my children, and my God-given position as father and husband to be an example of an overcomer of adversity, just as I did in 2021.

So in February this year, I bought a Peloton on FB marketplace and signed up for the subscription, and also for the lifetime membership of LoseIt.

With my watch that tracks my activity (including sleep), the scale that syncs to the LoseIt app, a solid workout plan and diet strategy, a fundamental shift in thinking towards food helped me shed not only physical weight, but mental weight as well.

Losing weight over the course of the last 5-6 months has helped me be patient, ease into new mindsets, melt away fears, and make a lifestyle change that is more likely to be permanent.

I’m grateful for apps like LoseIt, a community of people dedicated to healthier living, and broken chains! ⛓️‍💥

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you in hopes that it would encourage someone else on the same or similar road.

Keep going!

submitted by /u/iKruton
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/yg6PbZM

No comments:

Post a Comment