Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Family reacting negatively to my weight loss

In the past year, I (25M) have lost around 30 pounds going from 230 (I was even bigger in high school, almost reacing 270 pounds) to around 198-205, losing a shirt size and two pants sizes. I'm really happy with my progress and honestly never thought I could do it since I was always seen as a "bigger guy" my entire childhood, but now I could probably be described as a muscular build. But recently my family has been making passive aggressive comments about my weight loss, like my sister telling my mom behind my back that she thinks "he's losing too much weight, he looks way skinnier than last time" when in reality I just wore a shirt that fit me since I've shrunk a size.

My mom also makes comments like "thanks for visiting and letting me feed you" and then patting my stomach. These are just s couple comments they've made, but it hurts my feelings because they haven't said anything positive about my weight loss, only comments about how "your skinny now, do you just not eat?" and how I might not want dessert after dinner anymore. I'm not sure if this is projection of their jealousy or they feel "threatened" by my weight loss, since literally my whole immediate family is significantly overweight, except for my dad who's reasonably healthy for his age, maybe 5 or 10 pounds overweight. I thought they would be happy I lost weight, or at worst say nothing. Even my brother who used to be around my weight, but has since gained around 45 pounds back from depression makes comments saying "when I looked like you, dah dah dah" instead of just being happy for me as I was happy for him when he originally lost weigh and I was 25 pounds heavier than him. This just makes me want to wear baggy shirts around them so they don't make comments because it makes me uncomfortable and i sort of just go silent because I dont know how to react. Maybe I'm overreacting and should just ignore it, but ultimately it does hurt my feelings. Thankfully, though, I do have two close friends who have made positive comments about my weight loss.

Has anyone else experienced this and felt the same way?

submitted by /u/trustingdog
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/VCOQjAG

No comments:

Post a Comment