Monday, May 3, 2021

Pro tip: those little ‘soup and oyster’ crackers let you get some crunch in eat bite without the crazy calories of other crackers

Stats: 27F 5’5” SW 173, CW 152 GW 145. I’m a big texture eater so I gotta have some crunch in my soups and chilis. Let’s talk about chili for a sec because it’s been a go to meal for me since I started cooking 7 years ago (pre weight loss). I LOVE chili. I used to make a standard recipe (ground beef, beans, various canned tomatoes, onion, peppers, and spices) but then in my bowl I’d add a boat load of cheese, sour cream, have a glass of milk with it, and as many Ritz crackers as I desired. Since I started losing weight I realized chili itself is actually pretty low calorie and filling so it would be great to include in my meal plans. BUT I’d have to lower the calorie count on all the ‘extras’. Switched milk for sparkling water (easy). I actually found the cheese wasn’t adding much for me and the sour cream was enough to cut the spice so I just do two tablespoons of sour cream now. The issue has been the crackers. I just gotta have that crunch!! Ritz are 80 cals for just 5 crackers! So these last few months I’ve been eating about 8 with my bowls of chili but not getting a crunch in each bite without making a big mess crumbling them into smaller pieces.

This week at the grocery store I spied those little hexagonal oyster and soup crackers on the bottom shelf. Checked the nutrition label and they’re 37 crackers for 60 calories!! So I can double that amount and fit into my cracker allotment. Just finished a bowl of chili and got my nice crunch like I wanted and stayed in calorie budget. They’re not quite as buttery as ritz but not nearly as dry as saltines. They’ve got a nice flavor to them and a good balance of salt. I’m bummed it took me this long in my journey to think of this but wanted to share with you all in case it helps!!

submitted by /u/kuzzy235
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3eT9k55

No comments:

Post a Comment