Monday, February 21, 2022

You are an IRONMAN.

Background

On the 5th of January in 2017 I weighed in at 185 kilograms (407 pounds).

I had always been obese, morbidly obese even. For what it's worth, I'm ~190 cm+ (6 ft+) tall, which definitely assisted in hiding my weight a bit. I still looked obese, but not as obese as I was.

I learned all the wrong habits from home when it comes to food consumption. I was an emotional eater, whatever the emotion, I'd eat. I would eat to celebrate, or to drown my sorrows.

My turnaround started during student exchange in the U.S., where I lost 25 kilograms (55 lbs) through eating at regular intervals and taking daily walks. The exchange period was two terms, winter & spring. For anyone unfamiliar with these, in practice that means 5 months.

Turning point

After the student exchange I was a Thesis short of graduation, and moved back home. I maintained that weight, meaning I didn't gain any of the 25 kilograms (55 lbs) back as I kept the walking in my daily routine. I'd walk the forest roads here in Finland, they're rather peaceful let me tell ye.

Once I graduated in December of 2017 I started looking for my own place, which changed just about everything. I was unsatisfied with where my life was at, I didn't know what I wanted from my personal life necessarily, but I knew where I was at wasn't it.

I started going to the gym with a colleague of mine, which played a major role in this, I would've never had the courage to go to a gym alone, despite the fact I had always wanted to. In addition, I started making small changes to what I was eating.

This I think to this day is crucial. Had I tried to turn my life around at once, I would've most likely failed. The end result was that I ended up losing 75 kilograms (165 kgs) more, putting me to 85 kilograms (187 pounds).

Events

Along the way I participated in some running events, until I discovered Ironman triathlons. They seemed nuts to me, as did running events at first.

That was the exact reason I wanted to finish one. Something inside me was curious whether or not someone like me could finish one of these, I had to know.

I succeeded at doing that, on 14th of August, 2021, I crossed that finish line. Due to COVID19 I had not ran a marathon prior, but that mattered little.

Takeaways

For anyone out there who's trying to lose some weight; try making small changes. If you're into working out great! If not, that's not a necessity, but keep in mind there are hundreds of ways of staying active. For me it was challenging myself with these events, which I fell in love with.

Also; gym's aren't that scary. The people who go there are just that, they're just people. Nothing more, nothing less.

What'll make or break your weight loss is consistency. One bad day won't ruin it, nor get you to your goal.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/fOUAYo1

I have some more pictures from along the way, but I figured I'd share these, despite the fact they were taken over 4 years apart.

submitted by /u/kintra
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/Gh083xn

No comments:

Post a Comment