Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Tried many times, but was not working. No more excuses, now it was finally the time to smash the getting fit goal through hard work. Still working on it, but very happy so far!

These were 4 great months, I got from 303lb (137kg) to 220lbs (100kg) in just 4 months. In other words, from 43% body fat to 24%. Still some more work to do, but really happy for now achieving something that seemed to be impossible.

Progress picture: https://imgur.com/a/qe7xBIt

This sub helped me a lot, so it's time to give back and I hope this can help somebody. It was time for a big change! Just starting with my new startup work-life balance did not really exist and I also needed to get out of an unhealthy loop in life. I am a really hard working person, but I never really focused like this on self-development, time after time weight got worse through multiple small rebounds and felt more unhealthy, so I got a really good suggestion: what would happen if I focus my skills into self-development for some months? I love data and taking a scientific approach with everything, so let's get into the challenge!

Overall speaking about diet and exercise I developed a plan, but differently from the common way of doing it, this time I just focus on not failing to follow it 80% of the time (Hi Pareto!), so even though it might sound really strong I often have cheat days, cheat meals (eating x2-x3) and rest days. I listen to what the body asks for but usually the success rate is above 90%.

Anyway, I did not set a time goal and I didn’t really expect to get better so fast.

It seems that food intake is the most important part, so let's see:

Starting point: Not really healthy...

Diet plan target:

  • Overall target: 1200kcal/day
  • Minimum 140g protein (2gr per body lean mass kg)
  • Minimum 40g fat

Main foods:

  • A LOT of eggs
  • Chicken
  • Raw vegetables
  • Bananas and mandarins
  • Whey protein
  • Olive oil

Eating schedule:

Usually intermittent fasting 20/4 (Fast 20h, eat in 4h) or just eat once a day. The main meal is always after working out at midday.

Exercise:

Main target is 3h workouts 7 days a week (For the first month I had to split it in 2, so I worked out 2 times/day with about 10h rest in between). No planned rest days, currently what I call my rest day is going out of my daily routine and doing a 5h hike. As I said, anytime I feel really tired I rest that day.

My best time of the day for working out is right after I wake up. I get into the gym as soon as it opens and end with a cold shower, that gives me energy for the rest of the day.

Daily optimal workout is divided into 1h strength training (weight lifting) + 2h cardio u/130bpm

Strength training:

Overall I improved weight lifting by about 30% since I started. Usually 4x12 reps, 2x exercises per muscle group.

Day 1) Chest + Triceps

Day 2) Back + Biceps

Day 3) Legs + Shoulders

Everyday) Abs+Lower back

Cardio training:

As I said, I try to stay around 130bpm for optimal fat burning and not getting too exhausted. Although lately I’m getting more motivated some days and I get up to the 150bpm range.

50% uphill walking (10% grade) for the first 13 weeks and jogging/running from there.

50% elliptical (hills mode)

Running:

Starting point: I avoided running/jogging to prevent joint injuries until feeling in shape for it.

Week 14: Started couch to 5k 9 week program day 1 on monday, on tuesday I jumped straight into week 6 and finished also the 7th.

Week 15:

Day 1) Finished the 5k in 35 min. Thinking about the 5k to 10k 8 week program.

Day 2) Finished the 10k in 70min.

Rest of the week) 2x 5k + 2x 10k

Week 16:

-15k seems feasible this week, but currently doing 5k-9k u/9kmph.

Hiking:

Starting point: 2h+300m elevation gain

Current: 5h+1500m elevation gain

Target: 7h+2000m elevation gain.

Rapid weight loss unwanted consequences prevention:

The liver has to process a lot of fat and the gallbladder is not used so much anymore as a result of the sudden decrease in fat intake. To prevent liver damage and gallstones I take supplements of Milk thistle, Artichoke and Dandelion.

Same for kidneys, a massive amount of fat and protein is being excreted so I drink above 1 gallon of water (4L) of water per day. When I began I didn’t drink enough water so I got a really high value of Urate in a blood check but it completely went away when I started drinking more water.

Regular blood checks (common stuff+vitamins+minerals+hormones):

- Supplements for low values or deficits, vit c, d, zinc and magnesium.

- All the other blood values are perfect.

Other supplements:

  • Tried tribulus for a month but I didn’t see any difference.
  • Caffeine pills pre-workout make me feel weird when I go to sleep, even after many hours of having taken them. I sometimes take a sugar-less energy drink pre-workout.
  • And no, not illegal stuff.

I had to stop training a few times:

  • A week in the beginning for a corona-like unknown infection.
  • Weight lifting for a week, elbow tendonitis.
  • Finally, the real Corona made me stay 5 days at home with barely no effects.

Mental health:

  • Meditation: Getting seriously into it has been really helpful for this and for many other things.
  • No procrastination or losing any time:
    • Complete focus on things that count positively towards the purpose in life like work, working out and being social.
    • Completely quit watching TV/Movies,...
  • Only positive things around allowed
  • Moving to a place with a mild winter also helped as I was starting the journey in December.

Some more interesting findings:

  • Energy levels are currently massive, like no ever. If anytime I feel tired, that means that is cheat day time and next day I’m perfect.
  • I was not usually hungry for food, it was just my brain enjoying serotonin and dopamine. Awareness for this was a key finding to start viewing food differently.
  • I get asked a lot if I am not scared about getting loose skin, but it doesn’t seem to be a problem for now.

Effects on other previous health conditions:

  • Sleep apnea is completely gone.
  • Back pain from 3 herniated disks has completely disappeared.
  • Blood pressure is now optimal.
  • All blood values are optimal.

Once I get to my target goals for this change (I guess 2-3 more months):

  • 17% body fat
  • Half marathon u/6min/km
  • Feeling perfectly healthy

I will slow down, adjust everything for maintenance, make more free time to enjoy the summer and find new goals!

submitted by /u/nottna
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/GLY1gqO

No comments:

Post a Comment