Sunday, March 27, 2022

Weight loss for me has definitely been a long marathon

Been dieting off and on for 10 years, and the only lengthy success I have had was in the 12 months when I started to treat the whole thing as a marathon rather than a sprint where I could reward myself with a bunch of junk food at the finish line.

12 months ago I was at near the worst shape I have been since a decade ago when my BMI was 33. In early 2021 had a BMI of 31.2, I was depressed, demoralized, I had just gotten out of a toxic workplace, into another workplace where no one respected me. I knew I needed to get my life back on track, but didn't have the mental or physical capacity to get out of a bad situation.

So I started dieting. I cut sodas out and immediately replaced them with diet sodas (I know some of them aren't good). I cut the bread and replaced it with a grain free low carb bread. I attended a martial arts class 1 day a week, then eventually worked my way up to 3 days a week. months later I was down 35 pounds.... then I got really depressed again, tough things were happening at work, and the momentum died down.

Something that hit me was to try a different approach, to treat it like a marathon instead of a race. So I accepted that the momentum and willpower to diet was gone, but that didn't mean I had to just give up and binge. I could still loosely stick to CICO and just make sure i never ate more than the maintenance. I often subbed in some of those new eating habits that I picked up. I found that I was used to eating smaller portions. In the end, my weight ended up hovering around +/- 7 pounds over the course of the last 7 months without really trying at all.

A month ago I worked up the willpower to push my setpoint lower, I am once again losing weight at a good pace, and I am starting from a decent spot vs last time where I started obese and in a really bad spot(it is hard to notice results when obese). The momentum is back, and I am really proud of last year's me for choosing to hang in there instead of giving up and binge eating. I only have 15 more pounds to lose.

submitted by /u/AggravatingBid7442
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/v16hqs2

No comments:

Post a Comment