Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Body can't handle calorie deficit / phentermine not working / general rant / help

I'm a mid-30s woman, 5'5 (165cm) and 200 lbs (91kgs). I've been a normal weight most of my life, but put on 30kgs due to a traumatic event around 2 years ago. I started stress eating, which I've now got under control and my weight is stable, but not dropping.

So, here's my problem. When dieting, I'll aim to eat 1200-1400 calories, but I also eat back all the calories burned exercising. I usually burn 400-600 with gym/cardio/walking, so I end up eating maybe 1800 cals. That doesn't sound very low, right? But whenever I do this, I feel weak but ok-ish the first day, but by the second day I am SICK. Headache, dry mouth, irritable, stomach cramps from hunger, can't sleep, dizzy. At that point, even if I eat at maintenance from then on, I'll feel off and sick for several days, and no amount of food seems to be enough to fix it. I've done this countless times by now. I'll try to push through it, but I'm studying and working a demanding job, and I just don't have the time to have brain fog for a week before I feel better. So i give up. My question is, is my deficit really that low? Is it normal for my body to react so badly?

When I'm dieting, I eat similarly to my normal diet, just less volume. I'll eat veggies, tofu, yoghurt, beans, wholegrains, but also small amounts of treats like chocolate or brie, so I don't think I'm withdrawing from sugar or anything like that. I keep an eye on my macros, and they seem to be fine. My exercise routine doesn't change when I'm dieting, I do similar workouts when I'm not dieting. I don't drink any caffeinated drinks, on diets or off them. I keep the same sleep schedule. I drink plenty of water, with electrolytes when I start feeling sick. My bloodwork is fine, my thyroid is fine, I don't have PCOS, had iron and b12 deficiency in the past but I take supplements now.

I just want to know if anyone else deals with this? Have you had any success maybe introducing a deficit really slowly, day by day?

Now, let me just add I know none of this means I can't lose weight. I know I can. Really slowly and with a tiny deficit. I've successfully lost around 5kg doing that, but I get frustrated at the slow results and having to track everything I eat without seeing changes, and I just give up. I know this is a first world problem, but I just want to be able to lose faster than 1kg/2lbs a month. I feel like my body should be able to handle it, and whenever I tell people how much I struggle they don't believe it can be that bad and that I just don't want to work for the weight loss. Everyone else seems to be able to do it, why not me?

I got some phentermine from my doctor 4 days ago, as I am getting desperate and have read a lot about the appetite suppressing effect. Well, so far it's done nothing. No side effects except some minor trouble sleeping the past few days, but no energy burst and am still hungry and sick and had to get up in the middle of the night to eat an extra meal because my stomach hurt so much from hunger. Everyone is saying it should kick in straight away, and now i'm feeling really demotivated. I was so hopeful I'd finally be able to make a change with the help of the drug. Has anyone had it kick in after a few days/weeks?

I do take bupropion and venlafaxine for mental health, could they be to blame? I've been on different antidepressants for about 8 years now, and didn't gain weight, started this current combo maybe 3-4 years ago, so I don't think they caused the gain, but maybe they are causing the issues with losing?

I just want to be able to take a progress pic in 6 months time and have it actually look different! I don't want to deal with 5 years of myfitnesspal to reach a healthy weight! I know, I know, it's better to get there one day than never, but it doesn't seem right to me that I can't do it quicker. I'm willing to do the work, why is my body failing me??

submitted by /u/iguessimcursed2
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/BX5Mb2e

No comments:

Post a Comment