Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Warning- Noom’s calorie budgets are incorrect and may get you off track

Low key kinda pissed right now.

I’ll skip my backstory except to say I’ve lost 40 pounds using the LoseIt app before, and decided to try to lose 15 before my October wedding with Noom.

2 weeks in I am only 1 pound down instead of 4 because the calorie budget is WRONG and I should have realized sooner. When I compared the two apps side by side, I realized why I wasn’t getting results.

Set at 2lb/week, LoseIt gives me a ~1300cal budget WITH the goal of burning 800cal over my BMR. No bonus cal unless I burn more than that.

On Noom, I have the same 1300 budget, and am then given back half of any calories above that I burn. Taking just a min to think about it, that’s straight up not enough of a deficit.

Noom is certainly helpful in its own ways but at the end of the day, weight loss is math. If I’m paying $20/month partly for an app to do that math for me, it should be correct. If you’re using this app with a time-sensitive goal, make sure you’re doing your own deficit calculations to adjust the app accordingly.

My other complaints with Noom: -The “coach” is an unhelpful bot that responds once a day max and abandons you entirely after awhile -The color system appears helpful but ends up being fairly inconsistent in practice on the app. The same exact food can be there twice, but different colors. -The database in lacking compared to LoseIt, leading to lots of manual input -The lack of weekly tracking is frustrating. I want to be able to be “extra good” during the workweek and use my leftovers to go out to dinner while still being on track. Or knowing how much exactly to cut the rest of the week after a cheat day. -the psych tips are nothing special. I have learned all of them just by being on this sub.

Overall, absolutely not worth the price. I spent the same for a year of Premium LoseIt than one month Noom. Hope this helps someone deciding what app to use.

submitted by /u/xkatniss
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/PEnO6oe

No comments:

Post a Comment