Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Should I suggest a Change? Need advice

Hello, I figured I would ask this thread since it is likely that you all have a lot of experience with living in the world as an overweight person.

I have a close friend who is obese. She is insecure and is talks about being sad about not being able to do certain activities because of her size. She recently opened up to me more about it also affecting her mental health, and I see how it really affects her. It is a very delicate situation, she avoids using words like overweight and I usually just avoid discussion about bodies in general.

One one hand, it's like I understand that one should try to practice body acceptance and trying to improve your mental health. But at what point should one understand that being overweight may be causing this?

At the same time, I know two very overweight adults in my life who have had early deaths (late 40's early 50's) who likely would have lived longer and seen their families longer if they had been in control of their health.

I know losing weight is really challenging for someone who wasn't taught to eat right through their family. After my mother got cancer when I was a kid, my family completely changed our diets to ensure my mom stayed in remission, so eating healthy is a habit for me.

The next time she shares her feelings with me should I encourage considering weight loss? Should I talk about the people I know who have died? That seems somewhat harsh. Any words of advice would be helpful, sorry this is so long.

submitted by /u/Simple-Safety49
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/gaIrnbt

No comments:

Post a Comment