Friday, June 23, 2023

Thoughts about "earning" weight loss...

Hi everyone!

I've just been doing a lot of reflecting on my recent lost of "the last 10 pounds" and thought it would help me to share it here and get some other perspectives.

From 2019 to 2021, I lost 55 pounds (195-140), mostly through CICO and some exercise mixed in - I have chronic injuries from all my sports in my youth, so that complicates things, but I'm trying to be creative. I was struggling to lose "the last 10 pounds" over the past year to be at my old weight, but I was still happy at 140.

Earlier this year, I developed some digestive issues which drastically decreased my appetite - I could barely get halfway through any meals (generally unheard of for me!). A few months later, I was diagnosed with ADHD and started Vyvanse, which drastically improved my mental health but further decreased my appetite.

I've since lost 13 pounds completely unintentionally and am now at 127 (still more than healthy for my height) and still losing. While people definitely noticed my 55 lb loss, it was over 3 years so it was gradual. I know there's some paper towel effect at play, and now whenever I see people I haven't seen since last year, they say "wow, you got so skinny!", "wow, you've lost a lot of weight!", "congratulations, you look great!". The thing is, I feel weird because while I wanted to lose this last bit of weight, I didn't "earn" it - it was completely unintentional. Yes, I still kept counting calories, yes I kept going for walks, and even started physio again so I can begin going to the gym, but ultimately the weight came off because I have no appetite.

I'm not sure what I'm asking here, I guess I have two issues. 1) I never know what to say to people when they comment... I lost the weight because I'm not well right now, not because of hard work. 2) I feel almost.. guilty? Like I didn't have to try to lose it, so I don't deserve to feel good about it.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this!

submitted by /u/missmaida
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/9lixjA7

No comments:

Post a Comment