Monday, July 22, 2019

As a Licensed Professional Counselor I see some similarities in posts here. I hope I can help.

I’m new on my own weight loss journey and I’ve felt nothing but acceptance from the people on here. I’d like to offer a smidge of my expertise in behavior modification and if it helps you then I’m happy. If not, no worries, no one thing works for everyone.

There is a considerable emotional aspect to (over?)eating. I want to help people to know that you can have an effect on your own thought processes. Our thinking controls our actions and when we control our thinking we begin to take control of our lives. How do we control our thinking, especially when we have thought the same way for so long? Talk to your negative thoughts and tell them to get the hell out.

Scenario; you feel bad about whatever (job, friends, weight) and the negative thoughts are coming fast and furious about how worthless and fat you are. The old you goes to food for the quick mood boost (before the negative spiral that you’ve eaten garbage again). Here’s what I want you to do. Go stand in front of the mirror and say OUT LOUD to yourself. “Yes, I feel bad and that’s normal. The old me would go drown my sorrows in food, but that’s not me today. Today I choose to make better choices. Today I choose to not give in. Today I choose to be a better me. Not for anyone else, but for me because I deserve it.” (And if you’re comfortable with swearing then get brutal with your negative thoughts.) “Fuck you, negativity. You don’t get me today. I have a goal and I’m GOING to reach it.”

Talking out loud helps change your thought processes. Bring positive talk into the equation and it helps with eliminating the negative thoughts.

Scenario; you had a bad cheat day, looked up and ate 5 slices of pizza, ate all the Oreos, ate all the ice cream and you feel that shitty feeling coming back of “here I go again.” And the spiral begins anew. Go to your mirror. Look yourself in the eyes and say OUT LOUD, “I have screwed up, but that does NOT mean I am a screw-up. Everyone makes mistakes. I’m getting back on track because I choose to not remain in negativity. I choose to do better, and I will.” (Again, if you’re comfortable swearing, get aggressive with your negativity.) “Fuck off, negativity! You won this battle but I’m winning the war because I can and I choose to.”

It was a revelation to me when I actually found out that I didn’t HAVE to wallow in misery. I could have a say in my own mental health and how I addressed my own thoughts. NEGATIVITY IS YOUR ENEMY. Surround yourself with positivity. Be honest with yourself and negative emotions and when bad things happen, but don’t dwell in the muck and mire. Get back up. Dust yourself off. You can do it.

You can do this. You got this.

(Wrote this on my mobile while my kids were swimming, sorry if format is poor. Plenty more detail to go into, but I hope someone out there finds this helpful.)

submitted by /u/MarkleMcSparkle101
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2GrOyJI

No comments:

Post a Comment