Monday, July 22, 2019

Found out what people thought of my appearance after I lost weight

Finally decided to post in this community because you all helped me a lot as a lurker and reading your posts. I thought maybe you guys will find this funny. After finally reaching my goal weight weeks ago (~130lbs (59kg) from ~170lbs(77kg) at 5'3) , I will tell you guys my journey:

I ballooned in university. My family, especially my mother was not happy. Both of my parents were obese too, but they didn't want me to turn out like them. Besides my mother no one ever said anything about my weight directly except me and when I did, my friends reassured me I was fine and average. Maybe few older generations here and there, but socially there was no direct negative impact so I could ignore my weight insecurities. After graduating and working I noticed I was the biggest around my other south-asian friends and my cousins. Another few insecurities and my mom started getting louder as she herself got a trainer and started losing weight....she was approaching my weight and I said enough was enough.

I had moved out for a contract position and the town was dead in winter, so I could focus on developing healthy habits. I also didn't visit a lot of people during this time due to winter road conditions. My co-workers were all health-conscious people too. Summer comes, start visiting old family and friends more, and my god the reactions were insane. Everyone, I mean everyone was commenting positively. Proud moments:

  1. My mom said I don't look fat anymore. Dad got motivated to lose weight too since everyone in the family started getting on the health-band wagon. Veggies finally got introduced weekly in our household. Mom asks me every week what is my weight, what have I done to stay active, etc etc., cause she wants me to maintain it. She herself lost weight and is now at my original weight. So less vocal, but you know...moms.
  2. I went to events my moms friends held and almost after every event my mom would tell me her friends were proud of my weight loss and really happy for me.
  3. My moms friend who is blunt and straightforward came forward that said my face had changed for the better and I used to be so fat before so thank god I lost it. She was so happy for me. Other less-forward friends said along the lines "you used to be pretty before too, but now you shine and look prettier".
  4. At the beginning of my journey: Friends grandma screamed across the living room across all the ladies that were sitting after I had passed the living room that "(sketchmetoo mom) your daughter has lost weight?!!!!"). My mom told this to be after the party and also added on that her other friend replied "not that much though". Recently, friends grandma saw me and with such purity and grace she was so happy I lose weight like I was her daughter who had provided her a grandchild or something.
  5. My friends pointed out I lost weight without me mentioning anything, especially the ones were trying to lose weight too. One asked what method I used and if it worked which her sister immediately snapped a reply "Of course it worked, look at her!"
  6. No longer the fat cousin and mom tells me when my relatives see my pictures they call/message her and let her know how happy they are.
  7. One friend said I used to look voluminous, but now I look fine. She and I never talked about weight before, but when she met me after so many months she was flabbergasted.
  8. Co-workers who came back from vacation noticed a difference too and pointed it out :D (I realized now that I was the biggest in my department too)
  9. Finally mom is pissed: She brought a bunch of size 12 clothes as she had lost faith in me few months before my weight loss, now she is like "WE HAVE TO TAILOR EVERYTHING? Nothing I brought fits you anymore". But then catches herself and says its a good problem to have.

In the end, no one said anything negative about my weight-loss, but I was surprised how many people were "aware" I was overweight and just were nice and never said anything.

submitted by /u/sketchmetoo
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/32J05hb

No comments:

Post a Comment