Monday, July 8, 2019

I have Aspergers and an eating disorder and have recently lost a lot of weight, and a big portion of my friends are on diets - what are some things I can say to them in encouragement without encouraging ED thoughts when we discuss healthy weight loss?

In the midst of my disordered thoughts and already problematic communication skills, I feel as though I’m struggling to respond to things they say about weight loss such as I wish I could do what you did. Hhowever I didn’t do it healthily and don’t know how to healthily motivate people that ask for it, because I myself do not think these healthy, good, sensible weight loss thoughts and I recognise it to be a problem but I wouldn’t want to accidentally lead my precious friends towards eating problems, over exercising and undereating just because I buggered up my words.

Specific things (modified ever so slightly bc I can’t remember exact wording) I’ve not known how to respond to are

“I wish I could be a fly on the wall and live with you so I could achieve significant weight loss too”

“My diet is going well!” I struggled knowing how to congratulate without coming off like they were ugly or bad before, because of how I see my own self at bigger weights and I wouldn’t want it to come off like “great, you fat fuck, now keep losing so you’re more acceptable to me” because that’s not at all my intent but a lot of my immediate responses could seem like it

Noticing people’s weight loss, am I meant to mention it or am I meant to stay quiet, as I myself love and hate it at the same time and wish it wasn’t my sole focus of myself. I wouldn’t want it to come off like “ooh you finally lost the flab then” or come off insulting / patronising

As a result of my not knowing what to say I fear I may come off as insensitive/ insincere, but I think I’m just, struggling generally so any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated with thanks

submitted by /u/gayprincess96
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YJ03Ue

No comments:

Post a Comment