Saturday, July 20, 2019

I turned 39 today, and yesterday found out I've lost enough to join the Navy

Just turned 39 while I was sleeping, woo.

I'm under a year away from an advanced degree. Four years ago when I was just starting, I had been thinking very seriously about joining the Navy when finished. Not the most beaten path at my age, but the particular type of training they offer in my field is extremely desirable to me when thinking about future career trajectory.

Anyway. Those years ago, I was already disqualified because of my weight (I was in the 170s at that point). I put it aside. Fast forward years of school, a little weight loss, some gain back, then six months of dedicated CICO since February. With graduation looming I've been thinking really hard about the future again. I'd lost 35 pounds and didn't know if that was enough. Could have looked it up but I'll tell the truth -- I was too terrified.

Yesterday I finally called my local Navy office, and was passed to a really wonderful contact in my field who spent a ton of time answering all my questions and detailing how the process would go. That weight requirement haunted me the whole time but I was so afraid to ask...I waited until almost the end of the conversation to bring it up.

He asked for my height and weight then, I told him, and he chuckled and said: "Upper limit for your height is 141 lbs. You're totally fine."

Holy shit, I did it! I still have quite a bit more to lose as I want to be more solidly in the "normal" BMI for my garden gnome height, but I did it. I haven't 100% committed to this road yet, but it's honestly incredible knowing that if I'm going to be held back by something, it at least won't be my damn weight.

Now I have to be able to run a mile. Which...that's going to be a whole other hurdle to address as I suck at running. But hey, what's life without goals?

submitted by /u/Practical_Sound
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2XUU5TK

No comments:

Post a Comment