Saturday, July 20, 2019

Hit the 170s today, reversed almost 20 years of gains

So in March, 2018, I weighed in at 267.4 as a 41F 5'7", the highest I'd ever been, BMI was 41.88, Morbidly obese. I decided that was not acceptable, and I needed to do something. I started walking twice a day, as long as I could (started out at only about 1 mile each time) and tracking my food.

One month later, at my annual checkup, I had lost 10 pounds, and was so excited, only to have my doctor tell me I was actually UP 10 pounds from my prior visit. /heartbreak She put me on more blood pressure pills (I was 165/110) and told me I was prediabetic. That was a push to keep going.

At that point, I was already on Metformin for my PCOS and Levothyroxine for my hypothyroid. Each time I'd tried to lose weight before, I wasn't on any meds and those two hormone issues made weight loss very hard. THIS TIME, however, with my hormones in check, once I got serious, the weight started dropping.

I made gradual changes, starting with cutting back on sugar and salty snacks. I don't have any forbidden foods, but I rarely eat any sugary or salty snacks at all these days, except for some chocolate every day. I cut back the volume of bread and milk I ingest substantially (I was a BIG milk drinker before, 3 gallons per week). I upped the fruits and veggies and protein instead. My goal is to eat 95% healthy 95% of days. I don't have "cheat days", but if I want to indulge one event, like a party or holiday, I don't beat myself up about it. I even eat pizza sometimes. I only have 1 or 2 sodas a month, but that isn't a change for me, never was a big soda drinker.

I'm a pretty picky eater, so I only eat about 20 different foods on a regular basis, but I've learned which vegetables and fruits I do like and stick with them for now, figuring something is better than what I was doing before. Mostly, I eat chicken, with roasted broccoli, asparagus and potatoes (I'm an Idaho gal, so you can take my potatoes from my cold dead hands), fruits are lots of berries, grapes, apples, and occasionally an orange. Sometimes, I'll have peanut butter toast (35 calorie/slice whole wheat bread) with some cheddar cheese and an apple. Hubby and I have homemade tacos once a week and I'll have a burger once or twice a month. I prefer to just eat breakfast (haven't broken the Cheerios habit yet, but its the plain kind, no sugar added) and then lunch/dinner around 3:00, so I guess that is intermittent fasting.

I've also continued walking each day, now I go just once a day, instead of twice, but always at least 2 miles, usually 3-4, at a 4mph pace.

At my checkup a few months ago, I was down to 1/2 of one blood pressure pill and was at a healthy reading of 122/81 (I was on 3 meds at one point) and my A1C was healthy, not prediabetic anymore. My doctor told me if I wanted to lose more weight, I could (I was and am still "overweight"), but I had reversed almost all my weight related problems, so if I just maintained there the rest of my life, she would be thrilled. I really am a large frame with dense bones, so the high end of "healthy" is all I was ever shooting for anyway.

In 16 months, I'm down over 85 pounds and as of this morning, I was 179.8. I'm nearly down 1/3 of my starting weight. I'd like to lose another 20-30. 20 more would put me just into "healthy" weight.

The last time I was in the 170s, I don't actually know, because I only started tracking in 2005, and since then, I've never been this low (190.2 was my old "best" before this round). My best guess is that this is about what I weighed when I graduated college in 2000, so nearly 20 years of gains, gone! When I reach the 160s, it will be the lowest I've been as an adult.

I'm definitely not the fastest loser, but I'll take being the slow and steady turtle who finishes the race. I know that the way I'm eating now, is a way I can continue eating, which gives me a better chance of keeping the weight off.

My next goal is to start lifting heavy things. I don't have any loose skin yet, but expect that in the next 20 pounds, I will start to get some on my belly, which is my biggest trouble spot. So getting some muscle will make that less obvious, at least.

As I near my healthy weight range, I'm finding it harder to maintain a deficit, so building some muscle will help with that. I'll also probably need to wean myself off my lifelong Cheerios addiction if I want to actually reach goal. Gradual small and sustainable changes will get me there.

I would love to post pictures, but I've never been a camera person, even as a healthy teenager, and so I don't have any before photos at all. Not even a bad angle in someone else's picture. Honestly, I didn't think I would succeed. PEOPLE, TAKE A BEFORE PHOTO.

submitted by /u/Minigoalqueen
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2GmR7N7

No comments:

Post a Comment