Wednesday, July 3, 2019

On plateaus and keeping the faith: my experience 6 months in and 35 pounds down

Relevant Libra chart: https://imgur.com/a/JkHPPWS

Six months into my weight loss effort, I wanted to share my experience with non-linear weight loss in case it might help others who are dealing with the same thing. One of the best early tips I got was to start tracking my weight every day with an app. I use Libra, and I believe Happy Scale is the Apple equivalent. Daily weigh-ins aren't for everyone, but for me it really helps get me in the right mindset for the day by reminding me of my progress and goals first thing in the morning. What I wasn't expecting was how it would allow me to see the particular cycle my body goes through as it loses.

My Libra chart for the second half of June is a great example. I do the same thing every day: eat 1500 calories (plus half exercise calories), the amount MFP currently gives me to lose 1 pound a week. I have indeed, according to Libra, lost the expected 1 pound a week. The frustrating part is that the scale does NOT actually move down 1 pound a week. Sometimes it goes up. Sometimes it stays exactly the same for what feels like forever. Looking at the last few weeks, I hovered around 197-198 for SEVENTEEN DAYS before I finally got a whoosh today. That amount of time might not seem like much just glancing at a graph, but it feels like forever when you know you're doing everything right and not seeing the results on the scale day after day. This is the same pattern I've seen for six months now. A few weeks of no or very little progress, and then suddenly a few pounds down all at once.

I think the important takeaway from this is for me is that even though I was frustrated, even though it felt like nothing was happening, I didn't freak out and change my plan, or give up and binge. I just kept doing what I know is working: consistently tracking my calories and sticking to my daily calorie goal. Every day I told myself that the whoosh would come eventually. It always does. And it did.

So for anyone frustrated with a plateau right now, hang in there! If you're sticking to your calorie limit and counting accurately, the loss REALLY IS HAPPENING even if you don't see it in the numbers just yet.

submitted by /u/sulwen314
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2RSWhER

No comments:

Post a Comment