Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Journey so far, motivation, mental health & fat activism

Hello everyone, first of all I want to say (as a long time lurker) thank you all for creating such a helpful, welcoming and supportive environment! My stats are: 22F 5'7 hw: 229lbs sw: 218lbs cw: 201lbs gw: 170-160lbs This is my first post ever but as I get closer to my first big "goal" (onederland!) I think it's the right time for me to start being more involved with this subreddit :-) I started my journey on May 15th 2019. Like many of us I spent my whole life hating my body, being overweight, constantly dieting but only getting bigger and bigger. At the start of the year I was my highest ever weight of 229lbs (16 stone 5) and I think I was very much in denial. I'd been sucked in by FA/HAES rhetoric of "my body is beautiful! i dont owe my health to anyone! eat what you want! move when you want to!" which brought a lot of comfort to my severely depressed, eternally overweight self and made me feel like trying to lose weight was pointless at best and dangerous at worst. The reason I got so big was extreme undiagnosed lifelong mental health problems (causing me to be mostly bedbound for a long time combined with comfort eating) which I've been receiving help for since the start of 2018 and am so proud to say I feel pretty much normal, happy and healthy for the first time in my life. Honestly, you wouldn't understand unless you've been here yourself but I feel like I've just started living for the first time which is bizarre, exciting and makes me feel overwhelmed with emotion when I think of how far I've come😭 Slowly but surely I've managed to get everything in my life on track. I have a great job, friends, a home of my own, a cat (love of my life) and I'm happy! My weight was the only "fault" I could find in my life and had made me self conscious and unhappy for too long so I disregarded all the FA shit I'd been fed and began my journey! I've honestly found it very easy and very very rewarding/satisfying. I've been calorie counting sticking to a max of 1400 calories a day, with 1 day a week where I eat what I want guilt free. I've also recently started doing yoga which I love - one of my biggest motivations is having the confidence to go to a yoga class and a dance class. I currently feel too fat and am still a beginner but I'm so excited to eventually reach that goal. I weigh myself once a week on a Wednesday and today I weighed in at 201lbs (down 2 stone since my highest weight and 1 stone 2lbs since I started consciously losing). When I first started this journey I told myself I'd stick to it for 3 weeks (I had a holiday planned at the 3 week point and my clothes were tighter than I wanted them to be). I've yoyo dieted since the age of 12 so 3 weeks without giving up/starting over felt like a huge goal! I'm now entering my 7th week and I can't see myself stopping any time soon. I haven't been under 200lbs since the age of 17 so onederland always felt like a very distant dream that just wasnt meant for me (more FA shit - "your body is at the size it naturally wants to be" πŸ˜’) but now its almost here and I feel amazing! According to myfitnesspal (which I've had since 2012, age 15) the lowest weight I've ever been was 12 stone 11lbs and I was very slim and looked great at this weight. I've set my goal as 12 stone which according to BMI is still overweight for my height so we'll see how I feel when I get there, but for now I'd be over the moon with that :-) Thank you for reading if you made it this far! Sorry for the long rambly post but it feels good to get this all out πŸ’— would love to hear other peoples motivations, highlights of their journey or opinions on FA (were you sucked in too? do you still agree with any of it? were you as shocked as me to find out everything they say about weight loss/dieting is very very inaccurate?) Have a lovely day everyone, eat your greens πŸ₯³

submitted by /u/isabellaspotofbasil
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2XgOBgU

No comments:

Post a Comment