Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Postpartum, breastfeeding, losing the baby weight

Hello all! I did a lot of searching when my baby was born and want to give my story back to the community in case it helps someone else. Much of this is relevant to a variety of people but it is also what worked for me. None of you are me and you will need to find your jam. Sorry for the novel ahead...

A few years back, I lost 60 pounds (5'0", F, 175lbs to 115 lbs) I ended up maintaining my weight closer to 120. It was easy, comfortable. Did this the typical CICO counting plus running. Started in a weight watchers type program to assist me in getting through the mental hurdles that kept me from losing weight before. I maintained that weight loss for 3 years and then I got pregnant!!

I gained 30 pounds (152), within the recommended range. Baby was 6lb 6oz, full term. A few weeks after birth, I weighed in at 135 and was feeling pretty cocky.

Now, breastfeeding made me ravenous. I was so hungry every time she nursed or I pumped at work. Always had a snack and a bottle of water. My snacks were always "healthy" but they were also highly caloric. This, in addition to the lack of sleep that came with a newborn meant I had zero ability to say no to snacks, treats, peanut butter. I gained 10 pounds (145) and was feeling pretty poopy.

Baby is a monster teether and has been teething since 3.5 months old. She finally started sleeping better around 6 months, with 2-3 wakeups a night.

This is important. This is the time that I finally felt like I had the energy to focus on weight loss, when baby started sleeping better

I did a weight watchers type program that worked with the mental side again, as I kept failing at tracking my calories. Baby and I started walking most days after daycare and definitely on the weekends.

Breastfeeding calories: I started my eating at what MFP said would be my maintenance for my sedentary body. Then I slowly decreased and watched my supply. I noticed a dip if I went below 1350 calories, so I kept it to a MINIMUM of 1400. This was a strange concept for me. I couldn't splurge one day and even it out the next with a 1000 calorie day because my supply would tank. They say breastfeeding burns about 500 calories a day, which may be true but it is easy to eat that back. Trial and error was the key.

Meal planning: every weekend, husband and I make a plan for meals during the week. Everything is quick cook, grill, or crock pot. We have "back up" plans for if I get too lazy, I can grill a couple chicken sausages and I'm still on my calories budget. Other things like the meat heavy frozen dinners. I also make my breakfasts for the week (overnight oats) and separate them out

Intermittent Fasting : I used to skip breakfast and just eat lunch and dinner. Now, I need to eat the breakfast or I get light headed, but I pushed it back to 10 AM.

Snacks at work: I keep a can of tuna, a protein bar, and some rice cakes at work so if I forget lunch or am oddly hungry one Day, I can eat those instead of the candy jar

Biggest tip for moms newly post partum: give yourself a break. Babies are so freaking exhausting. Focus on the balanced meals and getting out of the house. When you feel more on top of things, add in the calorie counting or exercise regime.

I'm not done yet, I'm still 5 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight (127) but I did recently fit into a pair of pre-pregnancy jeans! Baby is nearly 11 months old and is wonderful if a handful. My body has changed in many ways, my stomach is softer than it was, but nothing noticable. My hips are wider. My boobs are huge and lopsided...may or may not change when we wean. I am feeling much more comfortable in my skin again.

Sorry again for the novel! Let me know if you have any questions!

submitted by /u/buttercup_mauler
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2LH6uUE

No comments:

Post a Comment