Friday, July 19, 2019

The weirdness of handling comments about weight loss

I'm on my second serious weight loss journey.

First time around, I lost about 80 pounds that had amassed after leaving a sport training regimen and simultaneously falling in love with cooking and baking, eating and drinking.

I maintained happily for about 6 years until I broke my neck in an accident and was forced to be truly sedentary. On top of that, a bad reaction to a prescription medication caused crazy-fast weight gain and seemed to wreck my metabolism. And, I turned 40. "Everyone knows" its hard to lose weight after 40 - or so people kept telling me. I was overwhelmed and simply quit trying to manage my weight.

There was a breaking point when I knew I needed to get things back under control. I'm 33 pounds down today and want to lose at least that much more, but I'm here to tell you it can be done. It's going slower this time around, but it is going.

I'm curious to notice how my attitude about weight loss has shifted the second time around. The first time, it made me anxious if others brought it up. I found compliments uncomfortable - like backhanded insults - and I was really private about everything. My weight loss felt like nobody's business.

This time around, it feels totally different. I care a lot less what other people think. I don't go out of my way to share, but if someone compliments me, it brightens my day. I say thanks and tell them I'm working hard on it. If they genuinely want to know what that means, I tell them. If someone offers unsolicited advice, I thank them even if I'm rolling my eyes on the inside - and then change the subject. I remind myself that at least their intent was probably positive. I feel OK articulating my goals and needs to colleagues and family in a light, matter-of-fact way.

I'm not sure what shifted or why, but this feels so much less stressful.

Has anyone else experienced a shift like this?

submitted by /u/MGrego
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Gkfafk

No comments:

Post a Comment