Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Diaries Of A Weight Loss Physician # 2

A Rebel Without A Cause.

‘Don’t tell me what to do. Otherwise I won’t do it’ - weight loss patient.

We humans are wonderful. We’re also weird and wacky.

There is a small percentage of weight loss patients that have a rebellious streak.

Let me illustrate w two examples:

One patient wanted nothing more than to look good for the opposite sex. They would earnestly hit the gym and manage their diet and the pounds would shed quite easily.

As they had hoped, the opposite sex would start to ‘notice’ them and the attention was welcomed.

Initially.

‘They don’t like me for me’ they explained.

‘They didn’t pay attention before. All the compliments make me so mad!’

As a result, the patient stopped their weight loss journey.

It was a giant ‘F@$# You!’ to all those appreciating their new look.

The pounds slowly returned and so did the yearning to be desired.

The second patient absolutely hates calorie counting.

‘I won’t do it! they told me, defiantly.

‘I don’t care how important it is. I don’t like to be monitored!’

‘No problem. Let’s pursue another strategy!’ I reply, unattached to any plan.

‘But can you promise me one thing? Can we revisit this in a few weeks? With an open heart and mind?

So how does a well meaning physician help their freedom-fighting patient?

In my experience, shining light on the problem is powerful.

Especially if looking for a durable solution.

Patiently peeling back the layers with compassion and support, until the patient themselves exposes the hilarious predicament.

Illuminating the conflicting internal forces and building self-awareness is all one can do.

How does the ol' saying go? "You can lead a horse to water...."

What do you guys think?

submitted by /u/No-Profit8657
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/TbJrRIF

No comments:

Post a Comment