Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Visiting family after a year: help prepping for reactions and comments

I will be traveling next week for a wedding and seeing family and friends that I haven't seen since late last summer. When I last saw them, I had lost about 35 pounds and it was not noticeable. At all. I have since lost about 35 more pounds and it is very noticeable, even though it is about the same amount. I am anticipating that there will be comments and reactions. I will probably get the whole gamut.

I have mixed feelings. I dread any discussion of my physique. It is awkward and makes me very self-conscious and uncomfortable. At the same time, I worked very hard and am proud of my accomplishments and suppose it would be worse if there were no acknowledgement. Fortunately, I have the wedding as an easy topic changer.

I am hoping that many of you can relate and have some advice on how to mentally prepare for dealing with comments on my weight loss from a whole lot of people at once who haven't seen me in a long time.

I haven't had to deal with any comments, except maybe two that I can think of, since covid has kept me in a lot and my close friends are my friends and not the sort of people who say awkward things!

Both so far were easy enough to downplay and brush off. I'm worried about what happens when it's not so easy. I need some pointers and strategy for the well-meaning but misguided as well as the not-so. I need to politely shut them down and/or extricate myself from the convo. It's a wedding, I have to be nice. There will be lots of temptations and other stress too!

submitted by /u/Genny415
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/8rcHh5C

No comments:

Post a Comment