Thursday, May 12, 2022

Dealing with annoying Asian moms and being overweight

I worked very hard to lose 10 lbs over 2 months and have been maintaining, more or less, at 170 lbs since January 2022. It was my first time actively pursuing weight loss, and I made many mistakes (like counting calories to the gram for every food, pre-planning my food, doing extreme intermittent fasting, exercising excessively). This caused me to develop some unhealthy habits and I was lucky enough to have my best friend point out these issues, to which I stopped immediately and right now I am focused on setting more sustainable habits. Despite not losing any weight since January 2022, I'm proud that I at least made a dent.

I just moved in with my mother after 9 months and to say the least, it's been mentally exhausting because I thought she would be supportive of my weight loss journey (despite the current hiatus). Instead, she has been far from encouraging.

I've learned a lot about my body over the past couple of months. For instance, I know carbs will not satiate me as well as protein or fat do, so I try to eat more of the latter two. My mother's diet is more carb heavy (rice, noodles, veggies, etc). When I told my mom I was going to eat her neglected supply of protein bars, her response was that "those are sugary and you're going to gain weight if you eat protein bars." She then continued to say "I didn't cut carbs as much as you do and I still lost weight. And I don't eat as much as you do."

I tried to explain that I am 4 inches taller than her and weigh more, so I need more calories at baseline since I am maintaining my weight and not looking to lose weight at the moment. I feel like all the science I tried to teach her just flew over her head tbh. It was very frustrating.

Then she looked at my legs and said that my legs looked like "disability legs" because they were obese. Yeah... I have no proper reaction to that except, what the f**k? That comment was wrong on so many levels. I just wanted my mom to acknowledge that I am taking a step towards bettering my health, but this is all I get. ha ha.

Anyways, that's all for my rant. I really liked the weight loss journey when I was living alone. It's been day 5 since I moved back in with my mom, and I want to pull my hair out lol

submitted by /u/EpidermGrowthFactor
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/7X835Sb

No comments:

Post a Comment