Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Motivation Check: Life Bigger vs. Life Smaller

Hey Guys,

From time to time, with anything I do, I tend to take a bit of time to reflect on why I do stuff. And in my last post here, I pretty much made clear that I was really wanting to improve my bed game. As a person who loves to thrill, you realize that your abilities are pretty hampered when you have a spare tire and your body makes unnecessary flapping noises. In a dark room where the only source of light is whatever started autoplaying on your favorite streaming service, there isn't enough loud explosions and fast paced dialogue to cover up the double slap that has a seemingly unnatural echo meant to mock. (Double slap: your body on theirs, and then your body on itself). And I frankly am tired of that situation, hence me making weight loss top priority.

However, during my reflection point recently, I also remembered how different life seemed when I was substantially smaller. It's then's day to today's night.

- Day to day life was completely different. I remember losing weight and being annoyed by how everyone was wanting to start a conversation with me. It was a thing where no matter where I went, people all of a sudden just try to start small talk with you. Once I got bigger, I was left alone pretty often unless it was warranted for a conversation to start (e.g.- asking "Is that your uber? Funny both of ours look the same! Wanna pay my fare? Haha!"). This is especially weird since while I'm a people person, I unintentionally have a very neutral and disinterested look on my face most of the time. Which brings me to my next point....

-Bad moods hit different with everyone. If you're in a bad mood (or appear to be) as a person who is in relatively good shape, people take notice and actually seem concerned. (e.g.- "Is he okay?" I personally remember being annoyed when people would ask "Are you good?" or "Is everything ok?" being questions that would not only get under my skin, but lay eggs and cause massive irritation. After I gained the weight, it definitely became a bit more noticeable that not as many people really give a shit about how a cranky fat guy feels. He's probably cranky because he's fat, right?

- Shopping. Of course it's everyone's motivation to get better fitting clothes that show off their bodies. However, the level of carelessness one can have in a department store in terms of picking up clothes is not something to be underestimated. It's a level of freedom often taken for granted. You effectively only have to worry about the color. When you're bigger, you find that not only is the proper size important, but also the length. You also realize once you try it on that your love handles are REALLY sticking out and your back fat is snarling at small children.

-Comfort. I remember the first time I realized that I have to pay attention to the weight limits on a plastic lawn chair.... It was after it broke and my beer spilled on my face. Not having to worry about those kinds of things is pretty dope, actually.

-Random shit that you never thought about doing until now. Climbing things, riding a roller coaster (it turns out you CAN be too big to fit in the harness.), leaning on stuff, sleeping without a knee pillow, just about any physical activity that requires upper body strength.

It's not a complete list, but just some thoughts of stuff that I really look at as motivations. Will I all of a sudden be more receptive to people asking how my day is or if I'm ok? Probably not, but it's still something that kind of sticks you when you realize that it was a feature and not necessarily a perk of being more in shape.

Anyone else have some otherwise trivial shit they never thought they would kind of miss?

submitted by /u/lastofthe1st
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/8hwNpec

No comments:

Post a Comment