Saturday, August 13, 2022

How much do you blame your parents?

This post is intended for people who grew up fat. I don’t want any “tough love”comments please, I am not looking for advice, I only really want to hear other people’s experience.

I’ve recently lost 70 lbs (exactly 70 today! 🥳) but I still have a long way to go in terms of getting healthy. I have been fat since I can remember, every pediatrician appointment I ever had ended with them explaining that I had to lose weight. My parents did try a few things (signing me up for sports, some healthy eating workshop, putting me in therapy) but at the end of the day they raised me with horrible eating habits and let me get to a size as a minor that did permanent damage to my body.

My mom is slightly overweight and yoyo dieted my whole life but does make some effort to eat healthy and exercise. My dad is morbidly obese with a horrible food addiction. Growing up I was fed not exactly junk food, but pretty unhealthy food ie spaghetti. My mom often complains about how we would never eat anything healthy she would make and I understand that would be hard to deal with, but I also think I was a child and it was her responsibility to put her foot down.

I am living at home currently and being on a weight loss journey in this household is incredibly frustrating. My parents order takeout constantly and buy lots of unhealthy food from the grocery store. I really have to fight to not overeat here even as an adult and it makes me feel like I really never stood a chance. I almost feel like a crack baby. I was given this addiction without any real choice in it.

Looking back on what becoming morbidly obese did to me it really is quite horrific. I have permanent loose skin. I have extra fat cells that will never go away just dying to grow bigger. I have a permanently lower TDEE than someone of the same stats who has never been overweight due to the effects of major weight loss. I am going to have a much harder time maintaining a healthy weight than someone who was raised properly. Not to mention the incredible psychological toll growing up fat did to me. All of this for the rest of my life.

On one hand I am so angry with my parents for this. They really fucked me up good. I sometimes see people calling letting a child get fat child abuse. My parents are decently wealthy, well educated, and had resources to raise me better. On the other hand I see that they were struggling with their own eating disorders and I am not sure what exactly they should’ve done.

So fat kids, how much do you resent your parents?

submitted by /u/beebofgh
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/qPvG3Ej

No comments:

Post a Comment