Friday, August 12, 2022

I lost 80lbs at 13 years old.

(Kinda a warning / vent, can adjust flair. May delete soon.)

All my life, I have been in an overweight or obese BMI. When I was 12 years old, I weighed 230lbs at 5'6. Honestly, it wasn't the worst thing ever because I was okay with my body, and all I wanted was to be healthier. I slowly lost 30lbs by walking more. I discovered CICO and, unfortunately, became very restrictive. I ate less than 1250 calories daily for 6 months. My hair became thin, my nails grew slowly, (my period skipped months), and my average body temperature went from 36.6 to 35.5 (celcius), which is almost hypothermic.

Since I started high school, I have been depressed and anxious. My anxiety wasn't too bad, but my depression was. When I lost the weight, it reversed; I was extremely anxious, but my depression lessened. I cared too much about what people thought about my body when I logically knew no one would say anything bad. I was 150lbs and finally in a healthy BMI, but I felt more insecure than ever.

During the holidays, I was scared of overeating, so I ate almost nothing instead. That act sparked an irrational hunger that led me to gain back 50lbs in one year. I've been maintaining approximately 200lbs for a while now, and albeit being a bit disappointed that I haven't lost weight, I'm proud I haven't gained any. I'm currently working on exercising more and eating healthier.

The point of this post was to bring awareness to how being restrictive and trying to lose weight as fast as possible can be dangerous, and possibly lead to regaining weight. I see a lot of posts on weight loss subreddits of young teens trying to eat very few calories. They may already be in the low end of a healthy BMI, or tall with a high TDEE, therefore, severely uneating. I'm always worried. I recently came across a grown man on youtube who is trying to lose 20 somewhat pounds by eating less than 1000 calories and giving advice to commenters on how to do it, and it infuriated me.

I've learned from experience that eating restrictively, especially when you're in a period of growth, is very dangerous and not sustainable. No matter how old you are, or where you are in your journey, it is important to make decisions that you will be proud of. We deserve to build habits that will allow us to maintain our weight long-term, and make sure we aren't wallowing in depression forever.

Please stay safe and healthy. You deserve to eat even if you messed up yesterday, and you deserve to be happy. You can do this! Good luck everyone, and thank you for reading this if you've stuck this far.

submitted by /u/Caramelespresso6600
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/jyba5LF

No comments:

Post a Comment