Thursday, April 27, 2023

Confusion around muscle retainment and protein intake

My weight loss is going pretty well at the moment, but I'm worried about losing muscle. Some "rules of thumb" I've seen floating around include:

  1. You shouldn't lose more than 1% of your bodyweight (in kg) per week.
  2. You should eat 1,6 grams of protein per 1kg of bodyweight per day.
  3. You should exercise

1% of my bodyweight is 0,97 at the moment, and I lose on average 0,8kg per week atm so that should check out. As to exercise, I do some calisthenics (push-pull-legs-core, twice a week if I'm able to) and I also boulder/climb once a week.

What I don't get is the protein intake. 1,6 grams per kilo of bodyweight is around 155 grams of protein for me. Which seems insane? A normal meal I cook for myself has probably around 30 grams of protein, and I can fit two full meals into my calorie budget (plus snacks). So I get maybe 50-80 grams of protein per day, and I have no idea where I can find the missing 100g? My go-to protein source which is chicken has 20 grams of protein per 100g of chicken, and most single meals I eat have around that 100g of chicken. How am I supposed to quadruple that without crashing through my calorie budget, or without breaking the bank?

I'm genuinely confused by this. Am I misunderstanding the wording here?

submitted by /u/alonealsoatnight
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/RHdfLSo

No comments:

Post a Comment