Friday, April 28, 2023

I've uncovered a massive mental hangup about weight loss. It's because I've believed since I was a kid that fit people are mean people.

This is an irrational belief, of course, but I discovered through some inner work that since I was a child, I have unintentionally associated people who are fit and lean with rich bullies. I was a very sensitive child who cried easily, and I had personal experience with bullies at school for several years growing up. All of them were rich and on athletic teams. It didn't help that I watched TONS of movies and TV, and the regular trope for those bullies was that they were always rich athletes and cheerleaders. Now people lob insults at obese people on social media and in movies because it seems to be the last acceptable prejudice these days, and my brain tells me, "Who the fuck would WANT to be like these people? I fucking hate them!" Anyway, now that I'm aware my bad habits were a form of subconscious rebellion against bullies, I want to start paying attention to fit people who are genuinely kind. Can you point me to some good examples in media? How can I learn to associate fitness with kindness and decency?

submitted by /u/I_use_the_wrong_fork
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/bgu8smv

No comments:

Post a Comment