Thursday, October 26, 2023

Dealing with weight loss success as an older woman

Hey everyone, this isn't so much about how we lost weight as how we cope with success. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences especially from the perspective of an older person.

I am 68, 5'8, started at 223 pounds on 2/28/22, now 175. Briefly, my methods were moderate exercise, minimally processed food, and 12-step groups.

What are your experiences with:

  1. Deciding on your goal weight. As a senior, do you now aspire to be a little heavier than what your goal weight may have been when you were younger, to provide padding from falls, to stay warm, for "emergency fuel" in the event of illness, or to just not have as much hanging skin?
  2. How do you get support for continued efforts when your friend group may not have been as successful at weight loss as you? I've been in a couple of 12-step groups for overeating, and my cohort has not been as successful yet as I have. It's gotten to where I don't want to share about weight loss issues because I don't want to trigger anyone, but I miss getting the support.
  3. How do you navigate public spaces as a more sexually attractive version of yourself? I haven't felt attractive since age 16 (yeah, that's sad). Now I do feel attractive, despite my age and loose skin. I don't want to date but I enjoy the feeling of being age-appropriately attractive. However sometimes I feel uncomfortable. I haven't figured out how to be at peace with it.
  4. I'm giving myself permission to buy new clothes and discovering that I'm gravitating toward different styles than before - more athletic and/or more flowing and poetic. Any thoughts, older friends, on creating a new presentation of yourself to the world?
  5. I've heard a lot on the forum about being derailed or unsupported in healthy eating. I've taken a very strong, possibly harsh approach: I mostly tell people I'm not a social eater, don't do potlucks, prefer to just meet for coffee, etc. I know it's not ideal socially but right now my health is more important. Any great advice on this one?
  6. Any other issues you are navigating due to weight loss?
submitted by /u/Hanna_Beth
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/klt2PCN

No comments:

Post a Comment