Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Already struggling with consistency and success, now starting an antidepressant. Advice/support?

I got rx'd Prozac this week but I haven't started it yet. I've struggled with depression since my teens (F30s), but have never been on meds for it. Researching Prozac has informed me that at least some weight gain is common.

I've already been really struggling to make any progress at all, and I know a lot of that has to do with my mental health. But my physical health also impacts my depression and anxiety so I don't want to give up. I'm very close to my heaviest weight so I feel like all the time and money I've spent on workouts, food and clothes meant nothing so far and I'm very prone to discouragement.

One issue that's been holding me back, which I've been discussing with my hcp, is that I've begun using alcohol as a coping mechanism for anxiety and sometimes my depression, which is making weight loss extremely difficult. I honestly haven't felt ready to quit that because I didn't have another way around the panic attacks yet. I'm really hoping being medicated helps, and that I can lower my calorie intake of alcohol.

But I worry that my efforts won't amount to much if my meds cause weight gain, and I feel like that's a combination that's going to make it harder to give up the alcohol, and I'll either stay the same while making efforts in the opposite direction, or gain beyond my heaviest.

I really feel like I could benefit from stories and encouragement from those who have managed to lose weight while on an antidepressant. Thanks a ton!

submitted by /u/rock_kid
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/I1vPxyH

No comments:

Post a Comment