Monday, March 25, 2024

2-year update

Quick background-- after weighing in at 332 in March 2022, I decided I was going to lose 100 pounds. The last time I posted an update was in June 2023. I had gotten down to 250 in April and crept back up to 254 by the time of that post. Even though I declared in said post that I was about to refocus and get going again, I ended up stagnating (plateauing?) the rest of the summer and by Sept 17 I was 256. The fall ended up being tough on me as I am sometimes prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder. I was depressed, less physically active, and sneakily adding some "bad" foods back in here and there. By December, I was on my way to nearly trashing all the good habits I had developed over the past 20+ months. I decided to do the whole "I'll start after New Year's" and I weighed myself for the first time since September. I was back up to 272-273. I buckled down on my diet-- portions and calories-- and tried to get more physically active but with each subsequent weigh-in, the scale wasn't moving much. One week in late February, I totally went off the rails with my diet and didn't even bother doing a weigh-in. Instead, at a friend's suggestion, I started Noom. I made my goal on the app to lose 50 lbs. So 232 is now more of a milestone and 220 is the new end goal. Progress is still going slower than I would like but it's trending down, at least. The accountability of the app is helping me to shed some of the bad habits I picked up towards the latter half of 2023 (at least more so than when I started up again after New Year's). When I was really shedding the pounds consistently in 2022, I was lifting weights pretty frequently and I largely fell off from that in 2023. I'm going to try a different approach to weight training and I purchased the book Muscle For Life by Mike Matthews. I hope to start integrating his workouts with my regular cardio this week.

I would love to hear anybody's thoughts on the dreaded backslide and if anyone has had any experience (success?) with either Noom or the book I'm following (the diet plans in both are very similar). Frankly, I am somewhat proud in that with my history of weight gain and weight loss, my trend is usually that I lose a bunch of weight-- 40, 50, 70 pounds --and then I inevitably backslide. However, I typically wouldn't catch myself in time and I would normally end up regaining all of the weight and then some. For now, I'm feeling good about regaining only a net 17 pounds.

Still, so much harder to drop the weight in my late 40s compared to when I was in my 20s and 30s...

submitted by /u/redfoot12
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/1yTlRuC

No comments:

Post a Comment