Friday, March 1, 2024

Frustrating Conversation with Surgeon

I just got off the phone with a surgeon and the conversation was so disheartening. Sorry if there's any gross details. If you don't want to hear about bowel stuff, maybe stop reading.

I'm 35F, and have lost 80lbs or so over the last year (220lbs -> 140lbs, 5'5"). It's been a tough battle, but worth it and rewarding. I've really focused on eating super clean healthy foods in reasonable amounts and working on my fitness. I even ran my first half marathon!

My family doctor referred me to a surgeon to do a colonoscopy after I complained to her about hemorrhoids being super painful. She said it was just a precaution. Either way, I just got off the phone with the surgeon for a consult, who asked a bunch of screening questions, including about any weight loss. I told him about it. While he had seemed undecided until then whether it was required or recommended or not, he said he definitely wanted to do the exam in that case.

He did ask if the weight loss was intentional or not, and I explained that I had worked super hard at it, but he said that "80 lbs is more than most people can lose intentionally." It felt so dismissive of everything I've worked for.

I'll be crushed if I thought I was working through this on my own and it turns out there's actually something wrong with me.

submitted by /u/citymazewalk
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/8mX0PWg

No comments:

Post a Comment