Thursday, July 18, 2019

Gained back almost 30 lbs - how do you combat "good enough"?

I started my journey at 295 lbs at 5'10 1/2.

Through calorie counting and moderately increased exercise, I got myself down to about 205 lbs (took about a year and a half). My goal was to reach a healthy BMI, which is ballpark 175 lbs.

It was an interesting experience socially. Originally I would get some scattered "keep it up comments" and general encouragement from friends and family. Then I finally bought new clothes (around 230 lbs maybe?). Overnight the people in my life started to gush over my success and how good I looked. I seem to lose weight in my arms/legs first and torso last, so if I dress myself well I could pass for being just a bit overweight and muscular rather than overweight and chubby. By the time I hit 210 lbs, the compliments turned to "are you sure that it is healthy to keep losing?"

The compliments had a very negative effect on my dietary discipline. Suddenly, I felt okay to have an ice cream at the end of the day when I had already eaten my calorie allotment. Then I decided that I didn't have to measure my pasta, I could just ballpark it. People said that I looked good, so it must be fine.

Well, it wasn't fine. I gained back 10 lbs (from 205 to 215). It didn't even take too long. My only saving grace was that I was starting to get more interested in the gym and weight lifting, so the weight gain wasn't a complete loss.

Then my family decided to do a weight loss contest. $100 each, set amount of time, highest % loss takes the $700 pot. The contest got me right back on track. I dropped down to 186 lbs by the end (some of that was a last day dehydration. I was probably closer to low-mid 190s when hydrated). I didn't win the contest but I was happy. In retrospect, the contest wasn't a good idea for me. Healthy long term weight loss is about good habits. Pushing yourself hard for 3 months is not a way to train healthy habits.

Following the contest, I have been steadily gaining wait. The scale read 212 lbs this morning.

I need to stop making excuses for myself. I need to stop listening to everyone else telling me that I look great. Don't get me wrong, I love how I look now but that was never my primary goal. I want my weight in a healthy BMI for my long term health. I want healthy habits and to not feel like I am suffering when eating in healthy quantities.

I just wanted to write out a short version of my story to share with others and to organize my own thoughts. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I have started counting calories properly again this week. If anyone has any tips on how to fight that inner voice that says "you've done good enough, you can eat more" I am open to community input.

submitted by /u/Losethepain
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YZhVKn

No comments:

Post a Comment