Friday, July 5, 2019

I finally reached my first goal and want to share my story and thoughts

With the help of this sub, MyFitnessPal and a cheap electronic scale I finally reached a healthy BMI of ~24 at 90kg (22M, 193cm). A year and a half ago I was at 115kg (the highest weight was near 120 but I wasn’t checking it very often back then), started losing weight without any system around a year ago and have been doing CICO for the last three months.

I’ve been obese all my life, and it runs in the family as well, so I thought it’s genetic. That I have heavy bones. That it’s just the way my body and metabolism works. Had gyno on top of that and hated my appearance to the guts. Taking off my shirt in front of other people was a big no-no, I was conscious about it and disgusted. Teased as a teen but it wasn’t too bad really, not as bad as I hated myself.

Finally, a chain of stressful events led to a situation where thinking about cutting out my titties was somewhat of a “now or never” thing. So I went for it. Was a life changer obviously. Started going out more, becoming more comfortable in my own skin. After a while, people started telling me that I lost weight. I didn’t believe them at first but after a while started stepping on the scale as more and more people commented on this, and saw the change myself. It was like 5kg over half a year or something, but this bit of evidence was convincing enough.

As time went by, I got down to a little under 110, and discovered the sub. Very inspirational guys, keep up the good work! I wasn’t counting calories at the time, just tried to clock in enough steps and just cut down on meals a little, and it worked. I got under a 100, and wanted more, so I downloaded MyFitnessPal and started counting out of curiosity. I believed in weight loss by then and wasn’t obsessing over these things, so it wasn’t challenging at all. I will list down my thoughts on weight loss to elaborate more here, but will finish the story first.

I didn’t consider it dieting, I was eating pretty much the same food as before, just skipping on some snacks and having more moderation and replacing Coke with Coke Zero and other similar small changes. I was comfortable with how things are because my target deficit was just around 500 calories daily. So, in this pace, I was losing 3.3kg a month, and here I am, in onederland (under 200lbs)!

I’m planning to lose another 10, and reach my ideal weight of 80kg in another 3-4 months. Maintenance will be another journey, but I need to get there first.

Here’s a brief summary of my approach and mindset when it comes to weight loss, I hope it will help someone:

  1. I am not restricting myself in eating anything, I am simply getting a reference on my calorie intake using the journal.
  2. I am not able to consciously tell exactly how full I am at a given point of time so I use the journal to estimate my nutrition.
  3. I do not try to get the exact amount of calories consumed or burned simply because a 50-100 calorie difference is not worth the effort. I am comfortable with estimating.
  4. Writing down the calories is not a chore, I am genuinely interested in my nutrition stats, and I aim to use the journal for a long time to change my eating habits fundamentally.
  5. I do not have any significant issues with my metabolism, “heavy bones” or any other sort of legitimate excuse for my obesity, it’s not genes, it’s simply overeating.
  6. It’s ok to exceed the calorie limit a little once a while, be it a night out with friends or a family dinner or any other event. It’s all about habits and daily choices - one day is not going to ruin my weekly or monthly progress - I simply don’t have the stomach capacity to eat that much in one day. Slow and steady wins the race.
  7. I enjoy tracking my progress and seeing the weight graph go down. Even though I weigh myself daily, I don’t record fluctuations on the graph. I just put it down once a month or so, so it’s easier to read and is always showing a positive change.
  8. It’s nice to hear a compliment every now and again, but I am doing it for myself first. I feel better, I look better and I like myself more. And I didn’t know I had a bone in that weird place!
  9. I am my body. It’s not a suit, or a property, it’s quite literally the whole entire me. Might as well take care of myself, because this is what I’m stuck with and I’m not getting a new me. I cannot replace the hardware, I can just accept it and improve from there.

And a little cliché: you can achieve anything you want if you set your mind to it. During this journey I noticed that being comfortable with yourself and the process makes it much much easier. Wishing you reach your goals and stay healthy! Thanks to each and everyone for being a part of this fantastic community!

submitted by /u/geylang-angmoh
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2NCbVpP

No comments:

Post a Comment