Monday, July 8, 2019

I wasn't able to make sustainable daily changes until I respected and valued myself at whatever weight I was at

I know that many people are motivated to lose weight because they hate what they see in the mirror or are unhappy with the person they've become. It seems like it works really well for many who've had incredibly successful weight loss journeys.

For me personally, those motivators were only ever good for short bursts of determination. I'd lose 5-15 pounds and then quickly gain it back, often more. This was because I still disliked myself and lifestyle changes aren't a quick fix with obvious results you can see in short time spans.

I gradually started saying fuck off to the voice in my head that told me I was unwanted, worthless, and ugly. I started doing the things that I had let my weight hold me back from. I went on dates, made an effort to widen my circle of friends, went to new places and tried new activities. I've always avoided all these ventures that made me interact with others, but slowly introduced them back into my life.

After I stopped using my weight as an excuse to hide from life and wallow in feelings of shame, I realized that I respect myself and like myself too much to let my unhealthy habits dictate how I feel. I got excited about life again and that made me want to experience it to the fullest (cheesiness aside) which meant becoming as fit as I can be. Being more excited and positive in general helped displace some of my emotional binging triggers. Making healthy decisions became a little more effortless with a change of mindset. I am truly doing this for myself this time, not for the people whose judgement I was always so afraid of.

That said I still have my good days and bad days. I recently posted about body dysmorphia and how discouraging that can feel but I know that the decisions I make daily are good ones and I am choosing to trust the process.

submitted by /u/wavey8
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2NIzoWq

No comments:

Post a Comment