Friday, July 12, 2019

Metabolism and RMR - a snapshot of my RMR over 4 years

Hi all,

In 2015 I lost approximately 45-50 pounds, rebounded by ten, and have more or less maintained. I started at 185, dropped to 135 or so, and now am 145. I am 5ft6" and female. Like most everyone else here, my weight loss was a function of CICO and exercise, but I didn't pay close attention to nutrition or macros. I also went a little weight obsessed, and dramatically reduced calories over three months as I got closer to my goal and (I believe) royally screwed up my metabolism. In 2016 I got my first RMR test at a medical facility, which confirmed my metabolism was extremely low compared to others at my age and size. I was devastated and committed to increasing my RMR. I am a person who plans dinner while eating lunch; maintaining at 1100-1200 (RMR plus activity) was just not going to cut it for me. I read about reverse dieting and slowly increased my calories for two to three weeks at a time. I traded 50% of my cardio for free weights, and I enjoyed food at every major holiday.

In fall 2016 my RMR was 950. I was 136lbs.

In spring 2017 my RMR was 1050. I was 140 pounds.

Yesterday, July 2019, my RMR was 1296. I am 40 years old. I weight 146.8 pounds as of this morning. (Note: I've gained weight in the last two months as I've been sidelined from an injury and unable to work out. I'm starting a "cut" to get back to 135-136 where I'm happiest.)

So, the moral of the story is don't stress about your metabolism if you think you've screwed it up. Get a true RMR test to help you really understand where you are at. Calculators capture about 70% of the general population according to a journal I read, but the population of folks on this reddit board may be a self-selecting crew of career dieters and so it's worth the effort to get tested as you very well may be in the 30%.

Once you have your RMR - DO NOT SEVERELY RESTRICT CALORIES! The dream is to get to 135 and have an RMR of 1900. That is my goal, and so I will continue to reverse diet and lift weights. Slowly maintaining, marginally gaining, and dropping a few pounds until I can maintain on a 2200 calorie diet (RMR plus "lifestyle calories"). I dream of the day when I can go on a two week vacation and not panic that I'll return 8 pounds heavier.

I plan to accomplish this by eating my RMR +100 calories while I lose, and then reverse by adding 50 calories a week until it's clear I'm at a maintenance level. Then gradually increase by 50 calories a week for two weeks, maintain, and increase again, until I'm up about 4 pounds, then restart the whole process again. I think I'll get there in about two years.

I wish for all of you a steady journey to your goal weight, and then a top 1% RMR :)

submitted by /u/jell1fish
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YKKg7f

No comments:

Post a Comment