Sunday, July 14, 2019

My doctor is talking about prescribing a pill that manages my diabetes, but also helps with weight loss, and I don’t know how to feel about it.

I know pills that assist weight loss is a controversial topic, but please here me out. I’m not advocating for them at all, quite the opposite, I’m just looking for what people think about them in this context as I’m really unsure.

So for context, I’m 24, 153kg (337.3lbs) and 179cm. 4 weeks ago I went to a doctor after a long time of not going and was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and hypertension. I’m on a pill for diabetes and 2 tablets for blood pressure, as it still didn’t come down at all with 1 tablet (which is also being investigated), but it’s now at a normal blood pressure level.

Since being diagnosed, I have changed my diet a lot (low carb, no sugar, no take out, portion control etc.) and started walking approx. 40 mins every day. I was 157kg (346.13lbs) on July 3rd (the first day I had the courage to weigh myself, my doctor did on my first visit 2 weeks before but I didn’t get the numbers), so it is working.

My doctor has mentioned a few times about a new tablet that acts as my tablet for diabetes, but also helps with weight loss. She’s also booked me in with a nutritionist and wants me to see them and get a nutrition plan in place before she changes any tablets, so I know she’s not just throwing tablets at the problem to try and ‘fix’ me, but I’m still not sure. She’s also referred me to an exercise program at the medical centre ran by medical professionals, which I’ll be going to soon.

She’s a very nice doctor and I feel comfortable with her, but the idea of a tablet for weight loss makes me a bit worried and like I’m “cheating”. I’ve also seen weight loss tablets as a gimmick and something to be avoided and that can make you sick and not work, but this is prescribed by my doctor and works as my diabetes medication, so it makes me take a second thought. But I’m still wary.

I know it’s a personal decision, just looking for some input. Do you think I should consider changing to this tablet (while still keeping up with the lifestyle changes), or keep doing what I’m doing on my present medication and forego the new tablet?

Thanks

submitted by /u/throaway24687
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Y2h6U2

No comments:

Post a Comment