Wednesday, July 3, 2019

On Day 1 again, triggers to avoid and overcoming grief

Working out has never been an issue. I surf, swim, or run for a minimum of an hour daily. Working out is essential to my mental health. I set out a year and a half ago to loose the weight I had gained during pregnancy and initially lost 12 pounds. I plateaued and maintained until I suffered a knee injury in April, I have gained 5 pounds since the injury. I tell myself that I am healthy because I work out, I am strong, and I eat really well. In reality, I overeat those healthy foods, I am overweight, and embarrassed to see myself in pictures.

Counting calories has been a struggle for me as an adult. Growing up my whole family was overweight and when I dropped a bunch of weight in my early twenties my eldest sister (always the competitor) saw that it could be done and got really into fitness.... so much so that it contributed to her sudden and premature death at 33. Her obsession with being fit ultimately spurred underlying health issues and instead of focusing on staying healthy she pushed herself to extremes to maintain an unrealistic image. So really, it wasn't about being 'healthy' for her, it was about looking a certain way. After witnessing what happened to her I am really put off by counting calories and restrictive diets. It is also really weird to now be the age she was when she died, my recent birthday triggered the grief again.

I know that the key to my weight loss is diet but racking food is wrapped up in the grief of losing my sister. I fear that what happened to her could happen to me. Regardless, I am on my second day of tracking with MFP and I am taking it a day at a time. The following are some triggers I am working on avoiding as I start this post-baby weight lose journey for the second time. Would love to hear any tips or tricks you've learned (especially for issues 1 and 2).

1) Husband is a night-eater. After dinner, before bed, he will sit down next to me on the couch with a big bowl of veggie crisps, cheese and almonds, or our toddler's goldfish crackers. It is torture and 8/10 times I will grab some out of the bowl.

2) Husband overeats and I get FOMO. Meal planning doesn't work in my house because if I make more than a portion of food my husband will eat several servings in one sitting. I then feel like 'if I don't eat all I want now he will eat it all before I can have my share'.

3) Post-meal sweets. After almost every meal I have a sweet. A piece of chocolate, a homemade 'healthy' oatmeal cookie but it adds up, I am easily eating 250 calories a day of sweets because I am addicted to sugar.

4) Poorly planned meals and hangry episodes. I often make the mistake when trying to loose weight of not eating enough throughout the day, by dinner time I will eat everything within sight - compounded by issues 1 & 2.

5) Thyroid issues. Since pregnancy my thyroid has been acting up. I am not on medication for it at this point but loosing weight is not as easy as it used to be.

submitted by /u/stokedsurfmama
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Ja5Oos

No comments:

Post a Comment