Thursday, July 25, 2019

Pro tip to curb snacking (for folks with crooked teeth and an extra $2k lying around)

My incremental reward for hitting 35lbs down was to get invisible aligners for my teeth. They weren't super crooked, mainly just one wonky bottom tooth that migrated out of place due to stubborn 14-year-old me not wearing her retainers after braces. The weight loss and tooth straightening are both part of an overall glow-up plan I'm working on in advance of my wedding in September.

I went with one of those internet mail-order orthodontics companies. Got a 3D scan of my teeth, and three weeks later a box full of 7 months' worth of molded plastic braces.

Wearing these things forces you to stop snacking between meals, because you can't eat with the aligners in, they're a pain in the ass to take out, you have to wear them 22+ hours/day, and you have to brush your teeth after every time you eat or drink anything but water. It is incredibly inconvenient. Weight loss is a common side-effect, even for people who aren't actively trying to lose weight.

Six months later, I've lost just about 50lbs more for a total of 84lbs down, and my teeth are almost perfectly straight (and sparkly white as hell due to brushing 4x/day). My wonky tooth is oh-so-close to being in position with just two sets of aligners left.

Pretty sure my coworkers think I'm bulimic since I've dropped so much weight and I'm always brushing my teeth in the bathroom after lunch.

Anyway, it's not for everybody, but if you have a bad snacking habit and need your teeth fixed, it's a good way to learn new habits. After my aligner program is done I plan to continue brushing my teeth after most meals to signal that eating time is over.

submitted by /u/1byteatatime
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/32OdVyZ

No comments:

Post a Comment