Tuesday, July 2, 2019

So much different with a partner!

Like a lot of us, I’ve been on the diet cycle a few times over the years. There was a time when I lost about 80 lbs, and other times when I dieted for shorter periods to lose smaller amounts.

Each time, I tried to do my diet thing while still fixing favorite meals for husband, going out to eat together, beers on the weekend, etc. He was one of those people who could effortlessly maintain a normal weight while eating pretty much anything.

After some major life changes, I find myself ready to commit to weight loss again. The difference this time is that my husband’s metabolism has changed and he has developed an older guy’s belly. This time, he wants to lose weight too.

The first few weeks were contentious, with me fixing healthier meals and him bemoaning the lack of cheese, pasta, mayo, desserts, etc. Finally, I convinced him to put the Lose It app on his phone and track calories alongside me.

The clouds have parted! Now, we have shared perspective about which foods are high calorie, and which are high value. I finally have a partner in planning meals that meet our goals and navigating social situations. This feels so right!

I realize now that he could have been my ally all along. I’m the one who had the attitude that dieting was something punitive that I “deserved” because of my heavy weight - not his problem. Now it feels like we’re a team, recognizing how crazy portion sizes and junk food are in our society and committing together to a healthier way of being.

Hoping that sharing our story here may inspire others who are losing to open up to their partners, and/or partners of those who are losing to take a sincere and supportive interest!

submitted by /u/MGrego
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2KTcxoG

No comments:

Post a Comment