Friday, July 26, 2019

Sorry if these posts come around a lot, but I've realized something that may help me finally keep off my weight.

Hello loseit! I want to start with a little background before moving to the main point of this post. I just have a lot I want to say because I feel like enlightened or something lol. Its not some profound observation by any means, but maybe it might help another lurker.

So, off and on I've lurked on this sub to try to get motivation to hit the bricks and lose some weight. At least since I was 17. Im 21 now. Back then I was probably 285 pounds, 5'11 and kinda bright eyed about the whole thing. The Summer I found this sub I lost 50 pounds, but didn't keep it off because it was strongly (tbh solely) motivation induced loss. I was eating 1600-1800 calories daily (small quantities of what I've always eaten, I'll get back to this later), 7 days a week at the gym for an hour on the max eliptical settings, basketball every other day. I was possessed that Summer. But when school started up there was no way I could keep up that possession and naturally motivation wanes, so I gained it all back pretty quick.

As I said, I'm 21 now going on to 22 in February. I've more or less hovered EXACTLY where I was at the start (285) plus or minus 10 pounds here or there. I've never been able to match the motivation I had that Summer so I've never been able to get near 235 since. And I've been frustrated off and on ever since that I can't seem to get back there - but now, I realize why, and I feel kinda free because of it.

Motivation is hard to come by, and is not the most effective tool in weight loss. And while it can lead to weight loss, its harder to maintain motivation induced loss. There are only 2 truly solid ways to lose weight: CICO, and changing ones lifestyle. Neither on is necessarily hard, but also not overly easy, which is why I and many others want motivation to kickstart weight loss. Just looking at what you need to do feels so overwhelming. But the best way is to just commit to it.

With all that being said, I feel like I finally came to an important realization when it comes to CICO and changing eating habits/lifestyle: it doesn't have to be a grand and spectacular flip. It can just be adapting your current lifestyle and habits with a healthier twist.

Like, for me. What keeps me at a high weight is simply the quantity that I eat and the caloric density of what I eat. I do workout, I still play basketball, and I have an active job. I just eat way too high density foods at a too high quantity. And trust me, I've tried to eat the same food just in lower quantities but its so hard for me to keep it up because I'm too enticed to just eat the food the way I always do. But none of it is neccessarily junky food either - a lot of rice, pasta, and breads though. And thats the problem.

If I were to replace all of those high calorie carbs with super low cal alternatives but still ate at the same quantity, I would begin to lose weight. Just deleting the majority of these carbs but still eating approximately the same amount would/could remove 300 calories from each meal I eat. Plus, I don't know how much efficacy I should put into this, but my 23andme data said I would lose more weight with a low carb diet. I know its not some grand revolutionizing idea, this idea has been around for a while and many have had it before I know, but the fact that I finally had this realization that it could and would work for me just means a lot to me. I feel like I can maybe actually confidently start losing weight again.

But yeah, thats pretty much it. If you guys can suggest low call alternatives to breads, pastas, rices, etc I would appreciate it. I'm also gonna start looking at the low carb subs

submitted by /u/-za-warudo-
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ybTFZN

No comments:

Post a Comment